Orange juice additions/Hef recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
Sunday is brew day and I have all the ingredients prepped and my brew station set. I am brewing a Hef with some tangerine zest. I am zesting (4) minneolas and wonder if adding the freshly squeezed juice 10min from flameout would kick the OG up some and what can I expect as far as flavor. I intend to add the zest at the same time and only would add the orange juice becasue I don't feel like eating four large tangerines today and tomorrow. Just in case the following is needed to help answer my questions. First time messing with zest and oranges.

5.5# Wheat
3.5# Belgian Pils
.25# Vienna
.75# Honey Malt
.5# Flaked Wheat
WLP320
2oz Amarillo FWH
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1oz Amarillo 5 min
Tangerine/Orange zest

Let me know if there is a reason NOT to use the tangerine juice in the boil. I do not want to add Juice and fruit to secondary.

I had a superbly bad experience with orange juice in a cider, it didnt turn out well at all. I say go for it, but cautiously. maybe use the juice from 1 or 2 of them.
The zest should be fine though.

Thanks Von. I had not seen any responses so I juiced all the tangerines, froze it and gave it to my boys as slushees. A little treat for helping dad on brewday. They are great helpers in cleanup. Amazing how a garden hose makes cleanup fun for kids!

I always use the zest when making blue moon , never the juice. If that helps any. I would think using the juice would have a different taste, not sure how good that would be. The only time I ever used orange juice would be in making wine, it helps break down the sugar, but even that is very little.

I always use the zest when making blue moon , never the juice. If that helps any. I would think using the juice would have a different taste, not sure how good that would be. The only time I ever used orange juice would be in making wine, it helps break down the sugar, but even that is very little.

I did a mango honey ale not too far back and added mango juice to the secondary. The carboy valcanoed and I was not ready for the mess. It ended up tasting OK, not a favorite. I certainly did not want to add juice to the secondary this time so I stayed true to the recipe and just used the zest. Just curious what I may have gotten if I added the juice to the boil. Ended up being two cups that I froze for the kiddos.

I wonder what the acidity of citrus juice would do to the brew? Is PH still a concern that late in the boil?

I read somewhere (I think it was a reply to my bad apple cider thread) that the acidity was what doomed my cider to live its life tasting like a spiced orange juice.

Back