Longest brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandom590

Reaction score
It took me around 16 hours to brew 18 gallons of 1.040 starter wort and can it. Dont think i will ever do this much at one time again. But here's the end product, doesnt look like much though. 60 quarts and 24 pints.

image-1019053896.jpg

Relying on the canning process. Didnt want to add anything to it. They should keep for a long time.

Yep. I just got the all american 930 pressure canner, works awesome if anybody is thinkin about getting one. It allows 14 quarts to be done at once. The part that takes the longest is the vessel having to cool down to 0 psi on the gauge before opening.

tandom590 said:
Yep. I just got the all american 930 pressure canner, works awesome if anybody is thinkin about getting one. It allows 14 quarts to be done at once. The part that takes the longest is the vessel having to cool down to 0 psi on the gauge before opening.

Did you boil the wort first? When I put up starter wort I'll bring it to a boil for 10 mins or so, but I still get hot break in the mason jars. I've taken to straining as I dump it into my flask, but no break would be even better. BTW I have the same pressure cookèr-awesome unit

Exactly, making starters is a pain and time consuming. So i figured i would make abunch of wort for future yeast starters. I actually boiled it for the usual 60 minutes so that i could get the correct OG. I didnt filter it so there is some hot break in the wort but that wont affect the yeast.

interesting, ive made starters before but pitched the yeast immediately, i never considered the possibility of doing one without the other, or making an assload of wort all at once to use later. cool stuff

Man I really have to do this one rainy satuday... I'm forever realizing too late into the evening that I needed to get a starter going and have to wait for it to cool :) This seems like it would be far easier.

Sometimes I'll cook up an extra 4 gallons of wort, and seal it in a corny.

I can't imagine what it would be like having to can all of it ... serious work

Unfermented? Is it safe to store starter wort without canning? I thought you could get free Botox that way...

I have an All American 921 which can do 7 quarts at once. What is the time and pressure required to pressure can wort?

EDIT: It appears in other threads the people are recommending 20 minutes at 15 psi which makes sense to me. That is the same recipe used for stocks.

The process of canning (done correctly) destroys all organisms inside the jar yielding a shelf-stable and safe product. Of course, of you can wort improperly you can kill yourself...

As an avid canner (of food...not wort), I can't believe I didn't think of doing this! I know what my next project is.

I just made 7 quarts last weekend. It's just too easy to do it this way. I never liked boiling starter wort so this process was what I was looking for.
Two of the quart jar lids didn't seal so I had to re process them. Now I have two very dark wort starters. Won't know what the gravity reading is until I make a starter with it.
15 minutes at 15psi will kill any living organism inside the Mason jar.

Back