Craigslist score! (er, um, maybe not...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah.

Not only that, it's an hour away from my house, and I don't have access to a pickup right now so I'd have to haul it in the back of my Durango. I strongly suspect the smell would become a permanent feature of the vehicle.

And I don't even want to think about the cleanup job on the freezer once I got it home....

Imagine your surprise when after you clean out the freezer full of rotten meat, lug the freezer out of basement and take it home, plug it in and guess what.....she doesn't work :drunk:

haha, i love some of the things you find in the free section...

Yeah, one of my favorites that I see all the time is the ads for "free firewood" which actually translate to "come cut my trees down and haul it away for me so I don't have to pay a tree service." Usually with the catch that you must take all 7 trees, not just one.

And I've been seeing a bunch lately for "free walnuts". Code for "come clean these damn things out of my yard...."

Well if you plugged it in and re-froze the meat it wouldn't smell as bad when you cleaned it out....mmmmmm... rotten meatcicle.....
I would not put it an inclosed vehicle. I had a raw turkey leak some juice on the floor of my truck, after steam cleaning and fabreezing the crap out of it, I finally had to cut the padding out to get rid of that smell. A year later I get an occasional whiff of it if the carpet gets wet.

Yeah, as appealing as a free 17 cubic foot freezer sounds, in this case I think I'll hold out for something in the hundred dollar range if that's going to be the cost of "free".

Did you guys see the episode of Mythbusters where they left a pig (I think) carcass in a car for several days and then tried to get rid of the smell? They couldn't get rid of the smell and ended up having to sell the car for much less than what it was worth if it was odor-free.

Yep, I did see that one. If I recall correctly, the guy who bought it from them was going to strip it down for parts. It essentially became a junk yard vehicle.

Even though this is a freezer and not a car, I'm betting the rubber and plastic parts have absorbed enough odor to make a complete recovery to usefulness near impossible.

Money might be tight these days, but I think I'd switch to buying Busch Light by the case before I used this freezer to chill my homebrew....

Imagine your surprise when after you clean out the freezer full of rotten meat, lug the freezer out of basement and take it home, plug it in and guess what.....she doesn't work :drunk:

I think the fact that the meat inside had rotted would already give us a clue that it didn't work...but of course none of us married our cousin, or have won the Darwin award (Except may LGI, about the cousin part) ;)

My buddy had that happen we cleaned out the meat and tried to get rid of the smell. not possiable from what we found wven filled it full of water and 5 gallons of bleach. no luck.. had to dump the freezer.

A brave (and desperate) man is the one who takes up that offer.

You have got to ask yourself the question: How much money would you pay to have a freezer full of rotting meat and food cleaned? Would it be close to the same cost of buying a similar used one from Craigs list? Or even a new one (depending on the amount and condition of said rotting meat)?

notice he didnt specify what type of meat...

any recent missing persons in the area?

:cross:

Back