Broken Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButcherBrew

Reaction score
Howdy beer friends....

I am a little distraught - Just kegged two brews and went to hook up to kegerator. I had just refilled co2 tank and hooked it up to regulator. So, dial is turned down to zero (Can't turn anymore to the left). PSI reads zero - but as soon as I turn the gas on, the psi starts to slowly go up on its own and once it passes about 15 psi it starts leaking out the relief valve in the back of the regulator. I have never experienced this problem before and I don't know what could have caused this to happen.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I just moved and during the move, the tank fell on the regulator....Regulator hit concrete on the remaining pressure gauge (Dual regulator). Could this have created the issue? I don't understand what could be wrong....this regulator worked wonderfully for 6 or so kegs...I purchased it new in MArch of 2011.

Is it ruined? Can it be fixed? Any ideas on the issue?

Bummer is I now have two beers that are sitting sealed in Kegs...but I wasnt even able to apply pressure to seat the lids good. I fly out of town tomorrow am and will not be able to deal with this until I get back. I hope the beer will stay fine in my closet stored in the kegs. Should I keep it in the closet or put them in the keezer while I am gone? Wasnt sure if bringing them to serving twmp - without carbing - would allow for a better chance at staying healthy versus just storing at room temp in a closet?

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Butcherbrew

Have you taken a close look at the ports on the reg? Is anything bent or out of alignment?

You could try to unscrew the gauges and fittings, take a close look and then put it together again.

I would either leave them in keezer at low temp to cold crash it clear while gone or leave in closet and add priming sugar so it can carbonate naturally.

If there is an obstruction inside I would take the regulator completely apart and clean it out.

If there is an obstruction inside I would take the regulator completely apart and clean it out.

Thanks Jrems....I thought about doing this but did not try as I wasnt sure how to pull it apart properly. Any tips from experience?

mmonacel - I have a Taprite regulator....I don't seem to have the ability to pull out the relief valve as your tips suggest. Any other suggestions on how I can try to free the obstruction?

Thanks Jrems....I thought about doing this but did not try as I wasnt sure how to pull it apart properly. Any tips from experience?

I had a leak out of the little regulator hole when I first started kegging. I bought a repair kit from austin homebrew supply and repairing it couldn't have been easier. Took maybe 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure that if you take it apart you'll figure out how to piece it back together. Just take a picture of it if you need to.

mmonacel - I have a Taprite regulator....I don't seem to have the ability to pull out the relief valve as your tips suggest. Any other suggestions on how I can try to free the obstruction?

Not sure. Might want to give Taprite (and/or whoever you bought it from) a call to let them know you think there's an obstruction in the pin valve and get their take on it. I would think there would have to be some way to release pressure on the regulator as I've always seen one, but I'm far from an expert. Before taking it apart, you might want to see if you're able to return it so as not to void that possibility. Good luck.

So a final update for the thread.....

The folks at Kegconnection continue to come through. They replaced the 6 month old regulator no questions asked. I even had 3 e-mails from different folks at Keg Connection within 24 hours of making them aware of my problem. Todd, Brandon and Josh are all great folks and I highly recommend purchasing through them. A good company will take your money and sell you a product - A GREAT company will stand behind the products they sell and make it right for the customer.

Kegconnection is A++ :ban:

Thanks to all that replied with the tips!

Latest posts

Back