Mashing german pils and munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I'm told that when mashing German pils and Munich, as I will be in a Marzen I will be brewing, that I should mash in at 131 and hold for 20 min before raising to 151 for a 60 min hold (or 90min as I have sometimes read). What is it about these two that requires the protein rest, and an extended sachification hold? Where do I find info about mash considerations for a particular malt?

You can do that and you'll end up with fine beer. It's not absolutely necessary. I use Pilsner and Munich all the time in combination and on their own and I only ever do a 60 minute mash rest. I get conversion and good fermentation with a fine tasting beer at the end of it all.

I went through a 55lb sack of Durst Pils this spring and never did a protein rest on any of the mashes. All of the beers dropped clear. Maybe that was because they all got some cold conditioning, or not. IDK.

Pretty much the only base malt you really should do an intensive mash on is undermodified Pilsner malt, and you have to seek that stuff out. Even undermod can apparently tolerate a single infusion. I just bought 30 lbs of Briess undermodified on sale from AHS and am looking forward to some decoction brewdays.

Back