Hurricane Preparations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The back side petered out for some reason. The wind picked up for about 10 minutes again and that was it. We're out of it completely. Besides, they said the eye was over Queens somewhere, no where near me.

Not bad, the sun is actually coming out! No house damage thankfully, that's what I was worried about. I drove around a bit and the streets are a mess, but mostly passable. Lots of flooding in the Hylan Blvd area though. What about you? You have power?

Everything is good here. A bit of a leak in the kitchen sky light but nothing too bad. The only casuality were my hops - hopefully they are salvagable.

This is the extent of damage for me. Didn't lose power which completely shocked me

image-4089055188.jpg

Crappy night here. Lost power at around 10:30pm. No generator here. Soon found the basement to be flooding pretty steadily. Myself and SWMBO bailed manually bucket by bucket for 10 hours straight. Feels like I swam 1000miles. Got to catch a couple hours of sleep. Just checking the damage, nothing too significant on my property. Still no power and no sign or indication of when we will have power again. I was supposed to fly to Miami tomorrow am. That ain't happening.

It could have been worse. We have no damage other than water in the basement, and we are fine. Though carrying five gallon buckets of water up and out of the house for hours unending was a special little hell in itself.

Basement is leaking slightly, just needed to mop, no buckets needed here( just a tip, when my basement flooded with inches of water I was able to drain it by siphon with 150' of garden hoses conected together. Just fill the hoses with water, one end in the water the other down the street, when you open the end of the hose the water flowing out was enough to start a siphon and drained the basement without using a pump) Power went out about 5:00am today. Still not back on. Nyseg says maybe 1-2 days!

My whole backyard was under about 3" water but has since drained. We had some water in the basement but once the power was back on (lost power 6am, got it back 5pm) we were able to quickly pump it out.

The center of my town was under close to 12" water due to overflowing streams that have since receded. It's too bad, so many stores had water I'd imagine there is quite a bit of damage.

Also, a few homes had severe damage due to a nearby creek topping well over flood-stage. The roads are closed but I was able to walk down to a nearby bridge to take a look: the water is 1/4 way up their front doors and the creek is raging so badly, who knows how long it will take to drop down. I feel bad for those people. We were really lucky where my house is, it looks like a lot of people had problems...

Sunny and 70's Saturday and Sunday and looks like another beautiful day today.

Maybe that storm made our nice weather stall out right on top of us?

Power and cable still down. Luckily the generator has us straight pimpin compares to neighbors. Half of my street are on private wells with no power back up so they are in the dark with out water.

We're town water and even have the hot water heater running. I think we are going to have a visitor or two if the power stays off too much longer

My boss lives in Long Island and he's totally SCREWED. Three trees down on his block knocked out power to half his town. He hasn't heard anything about when its coming back or even when they are going to start working on it.

Power and cable still down. Luckily the generator has us straight pimpin compares to neighbors. Half of my street are on private wells with no power back up so they are in the dark with out water.

We're town water and even have the hot water heater running. I think we are going to have a visitor or two if the power stays off too much longer

Easy way to pick up a few extra dollars. $5 a 10 minute shower.

Lots of roads flooded and/or washed away here. Bridges down. One collapsed on the town's water supply. The town has enough in storage tanks to last a couple of days. Cars floating down raging rivers that used to be slow moving streams. My wife and daughter are stuck up in Manchester, VT. Wife works for the town and had to go to work yesterday to help with the shelter. Roads were washed out after they got there, now they can't get back.
Basement was flooding, but I fixed the leaks and vacuumed about 50 gallons of water out of it, now it is dry.
Lost power for about 45 minutes, water was off for a few hours.

Lost a tree that missed my house only by a few feet. I'm lucky that I'm far enough away from the rivers that my husband and I didn't need to be evacuated. Businesses are under water and several roads are closed. There was a tree that fell on the power line. It dangled up there for a day, but somehow I didn't lose power.

I'm a longtime lurker here. I hope that all of you guys on the East coast are alright. This thread makes ME want to prepare for natural disasters.

My boss is dealing with the same thing on Long Island. He couldn't come in Sunday night, and now he's not here for at least another few days. His town took a big hit.

My Dad's phone company near the Mohawk River in an area which has never shown signs of flooding now has 3ft of water around it and a basement full of water. Many roads (including the thruway) and bridges are still closed in the capital region.

Yesterday a bridge on 87 was shut down due to a run a way barge that had a large crane on it, luckily they were able to stop it before it hit anything.

In my part of Saratoga we just had the lights flicker.

Back