Recipie Critique Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmD

Reaction score
So I've been playing around with the idea of making a Imperial Stout for some time and 2 weeks ago I decided to take the plunge. I had a kit stout in the my primary so I figured it would be a good time since I wouldn't have to worry about making a starter or any of that jazz. Its a 5 gallon batch with the grains steeped and then rinsed. So here's the list

Imperial Oat Stout

9 lbs. DLME
0.5 lbs. dark brown sugar
0.5 lbs. lactose
1 lbs. pale Munich malt
0.5 lbs. Caramalt
0.5 lbs. Chocolate malt UK
0.5 lbs. Black Patent malt UK
0.5 lbs. rolled oats
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.25 lbs. Crystal 80
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40
4 oz. Cluster hops @ boil
1 oz. Cluster @ 30 mins

Boil time: 75 mins

As I said before I put this on top of a yeast cake from a stout I brewed 2 weeks prior. The yeast was Munton's dry that I had used a starter with.
I wasn't around to see this beer take off but it seems like it could of starred Rick Moranis, "Honey I blew up my beer". The volume in my primary dropped somewhere around 2/3s of a gallon.
I'm going to be transferring it to a secondary next week onto 1lbs of candi sugar and water to bring the volume back to around 5 gallons and to get it off all the trub, there's alot.
I was wondering if I should also seep some more roasted barley to kind of balance out the malts a bit? I thought to give it more bitterness or robustness or should I just leave it? Also should I add more dry yeast to make sure it ferments out?
I'm guessing this will not be kegged until at least April lest I be a fool before then.Well any insight would be appreciated. You all are my go to guys when it comes to the world of home brewing! Thanks for the help.

Very complex.. i will have to plug it in to my software.

I personally would not use the Muntons..I am not a fan. I would make a huge starter with Irish ale yeast..step the starter up a few times..or pitch over the yeast cake..but If you have a ton of trub in the fermenter..u will only add more. This is why I like to let my trub drop out before I put in carboy...

I would up the roasted barley and cut back on black patent,,but that is just my opinion..

the brown sugar will help dry it out so thats good..

J

looks solid. Ibu's come in around 68-70 which should fit this nicly, Gravity is around 1.100 according to promash. This looks promissing although i dont really know much about the imperial stout syle...Stouts will keep ****ting trub for a while. you can always throw it in tertiery if you need to

Back