Coopers European lager kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewieg

Reaction score
I'm brewing some of the Coopers European lager kit, can someone tell me please how long is the fermentation before you can bottle it? I lost the instructions, put them in the bin:cross:. I remember reading them and not too sure but I think it said 4-6 days.:mug::tank:

The instructions say 6 days, but they are generic instructions for all of their kits. Lagers ferment more slowly, so I don't really trust that number.

I have one going right now, I'm going to rack it tomorrow, at 9 days. I'll check the FG with the hydrometer to make sure it is done, though.

The instructions do say 4-6 days, but use the hydrometer. After 6 days take a reading, take a reading again on day 7, if its the same, give it one more day to be safe and then go ahead and bottle it.

When I make that kit I ferment it in the fridge and let it ferment for 2-3 weeks.

Be patient, a few extra days will only help. Don't rush it.

Here, I had to check the directions myself again-

3. Bottle

After about 6 days at 21c or 4 days at 27c (higher temperatures shorten fermentation time) check with a hydrometer that the brew has reached FG by ensuring the G.G. readings over 2 days are steady.

I did 7 days with mine in the mid 60s. This kit specifically says it needs 12 weeks in bottles though to condition.

I dont remember 12 weeks in the bottles as requirement. I kept mine in primary for almost 3 weeks and in bottles for a few weeks. It was my first batch so I was very anxious to drink it and started drinking it after a 1.5 week in bottles.

I have a Coopers American lager kit which I plan to do when it gets colder but I think 12 weeks in bottle is too much? Wouldnt it be better to keep it in primary / secondary for a long time and for 3-4 weeks in bottles.

It was on the packet with the can. It has a special section for the euro lager. It was my first brew. I was anxious. Mine tastes pretty bad, almost like an economy lager. I will let it condition the 12 weeks and give it to my dad, he likes cheap beer. And don't worry, I did everything WRONG with this beer, so it may turn out for you.

It's hot here in Sydney, in the 30s. That will help the fermentation along, it's been 5 days now. I'll check it and bottle it soon but can't drink it until the end of January

I don't know about the Coopers European Lager but when I got the normal Lager it came with ale yeast. In which case I am not so sure you're going to end up with a real lager.

I don't know about the Coopers European Lager but when I got the normal Lager it came with ale yeast. In which case I am not so sure you're going to end up with a real lager.

Yes you will end up with a real lager that tastes similar to Stella Artois. You have to age it a while because the sulfur smells are strong in the beginning. After about 3 months of aging it is smooth as silk. My keg was drained in no time.

Just finished making my first batch. I ordered the complete kit from Coopers. I thought it would turn out bad because i droped the lid on my spring water in the fermenter when adding water. Couldn't get it with a spoon so had to stick my hand in there to find it. Temp was a little low when I pitched the yeast about 18C. I thought it wasn't going to ferment but late on day 3 it started. I kept it in the primary fermenter for 7 days, then put in a carbouy. Let it ferment another week and racked it. Only one week after racking I had to try one. I must say with just one week in the bottle it already taste pretty good. I am going to let it sit another 2 weeks before I really tear into it. I just followed the instructions minus the mishaps.

Regarding the 12 weeks to condition: Depending on your water it may take longer. Ive had mine in the bottle for about 15 weeks. I had one a month ago, little sour. Had one last Tuesday, much better but still getting there. Enjoy!

My first brew was the Lager that came with the brewing kit and it was GREAT. Five weeks start to finish, but a little low on ABV (3.2). I ordered a European Lager refill kit (arrives today) but did not realize it came with true "Lager" yeast. I don't have time ( patience ) or facilities to keep at Lager temps. Have decided to trip over to the brew store and get an additional 500gm dextros and a Ale Yeast, brew as I did the Lager batch and hope for the best. If it's better than Keystone Ice...I'll be happy. Any recommendation for the Ale Yeast?

Safale S05, or any of the dry ale yeasts. S05 is a fairly clean yeast but should be kept under 70F to prevent a lot of esters.

Or Nottingham. It's quicker but a bit more "flavorful" (not the good way) over 70. But if you can control temps most yeasts will work fine.

Back