best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pirate Metal - lol

:D is 3 inches of Blood pirate metal? they have lots of pirate songs, but i don't think that counts. i always considered them "dungeons and dragons metal", but that's simply from a lyrical standpoint.

i guess they are just "heavy metal" with death metal background vocals....the lead vocalist is kinda like a lumberjack rob halford on crank.

I would think that this thread would include any kind of metal or meta derivative.

That being said, I've recently begun wondering why I hadn't listened to Entombed in such a long time. Man, I love that band. I think Clandestine is one of my favorite albums.

Oh no kidding. Entombed is fickung sick. Left Hand Path is even better than Clandestine though.

What about the loudest band ever! MANOWAR FOREVER! *metal horns*

Seriously though; Agalloch, Ulver, Drudkh, and do you count Pelican? that's more heavy Post-rock I suppose...

PSA:

Mudvayne may not be the best metal band of all time, but they're pretty farkin' good and their new album comes out TOMORROW. :rockin:

Best Metal ever hands down

metalocalypse.jpg

but seriously

Zeppelin
Priest
Maiden
Megadeath

In that order
Maiden however has the best line in any metal song ever
You wanna know the truth son?-
I'll tell you the truth--
YOUR SOULS GONNA BURN IN A LAKE OF FIIIREEEE!!!!

Has anyone mentioned Kalmah or Finntroll?

Also Dragonforce and Powerglove show this weekend. Stoked.

OK, can you recommend any other Scandanavian metal?
I'm a huge fan of Entombed and Dismember.

If you like Entombed you should check out Carnage and Nihilist, early versions of Entombed basically with some of the members. Maybe Unleashed ?

I think we allready mentioned Finntroll - sort of Scandinavian "folk" metal - very bizzare music actually, if you've never heard of it before think of a Black Metal Band playing a polka. Completely weird but somehow pretty... this is their song "Trollhammeren" which is probably the least weird thing they've ever done, the rest of their music is much more "folk" music influenced. Plus the video is funny..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3u86DPd7qc[/youtube]

Black Sabbath has influenced every dark metal band since 1970

Absolutely. Just like old black dudes playing the blues influenced Zep, Clapton etc. I wonder what influenced Sabbath? Besides a hatred for putrid 60's hippie flower children. And a propensity to overindulge in acid.

OK this is another band which is certainly not the "greatest of all time" or anything, but in the interest of keeping this topic alive...

check this band out:

Severed Savior - Brutal California Death Metal

MySpace.com - Severed Savior - SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, California - Death Metal / Death Metal / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/severedsavior

Brutal Death in the vein of Deeds of Flesh, maybe a bit more in the Technical direction than DOF, but certainly not as tech as like Origin or Decrepit Birth. If you like Suffocation or Morbid Angel you'll love them. Crushing speedy riffs and blast beats to make baby Jesus cry.

Saw in one concert: Soil, Mudvayne, Rob Zombie, Ozzy. All rocked (Ozzy slowed the show down)

Honorable mentions for me:
Godsmack
Disturbed
Alabama Thunder*****
Cryhavoc

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfxZbmaxr4Y&feature=related]YouTube - door prize winners at the don dee 2[/ame]

This is a friend's band when I filled in at bass for them.

wow. people voting for jethro tull, led zepplin, even rob zombie??? omfg please.

It is going to be like, Slayer, or some lesser known (but fantastic!) band like Brutal Truth, or FEAR FACTORY!

Absolutely. Just like old black dudes playing the blues influenced Zep, Clapton etc. I wonder what influenced Sabbath? Besides a hatred for putrid 60's hippie flower children. And a propensity to overindulge in acid.

yep, that and sweet leaf x 9999999999 :)

on that note, today was my first boil extract / steep and it went great, I am really surprised how much the hops all soaked in there smells like pot. even with the knowledge that the hop plant is in the hemp family... smells great in my house right now!

I gotta go with Slipknot. I think they have progressed well. Most metal bands (i'm not really that into metal though) lose my interest quickly, but I've listened to them for 6 or 7 years now.

And for the record AC/DC is not metal. They take that as an insult and AC/DC is my 1a favorite band of all time, the Beatles being 1b

Oh it's a Metal thread...

I was gonna name a few bands but it's not metal.

I love bands like Rainbow, Dio, Deep Purpple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Scorpions, Iron Maiden.

But those are probably not considered Metal nowadays so I know my generation's music has got nothing in common with nowadays Metal.

and you know what?
I am damn proud it doesn't have anything in common with any bands going on today.

Metallica!!!...hahaha
That really is my top choice, but since they're "not allowed" I would have to go with either Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, or System of a Down. All very different, but all very good.

Metallica!!!

Man, there is a lot of stuff in this thread that is NOT metal.

You guys should check out Necrophagist, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Skinless, Venom, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Kalmah, and Fragments of Unbecoming.

Maybe even some Cattle Decapitation for you vegans out there.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Back