Beer smells like canned cat food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
I had a beer today that smelled like....canned cat food. Took me a while to put my finger on it, but a couple folks agreed with me.

Ever experienced this before and what might be the culprit? This was a commercial beer, heavily (over) spiced saison.

Ok, I'm scratching Natty Green's Saison off my list of beers to try.

Beer should never be mistaken for cat food. Not even the top shelf stuff and certainly not 9 Lives.

I have an all-grain IPA in primary fermentation at the moment which has a faint cat-food type whiff to it. Any ideas what it could be?! It's about 10 days old right now, so still has some way to go, but still...!

What was it John Mallette of Bells said about Hopslam? Oh yeah:

“I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.”

Chase it with a Hopslam.

I had friend unintentionally create something similar before. His girlfriend stirred the wort with a spoon that had earlier been used in some tuna. She didn't fess up until after it was carbonated and they couldn't tell why it tasted like tuna.

Latest posts

Back