co2 Quick Disconnects and kegerator collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
I'm looking to mount a male, shut off valve QD to my kegerator collar for my co2 tank. Only issue is, I can't seem to find good solution to effectively mount the male QD without jerry-rigging a solution.

I was hoping I could purchase this male QD: PLC VALVED PANEL MOUNT HOSE BARB COUPLING INSERT - 1/4 ID BARB
PLCD42004.jpg

However, I want to mount the QD to the back of my collar, which is roughly 1.5" thick. This QD is made to fit a panel with a much thinner gauge.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Is there another solution that would work in place of what I'm trying to put together? I really don't want to simply silicone/foam insulate the QD on, as I want it to be relatively sturdy and secure.

Thanks guys!

Would you consider using a 1/4" SS male flare feedthrough and terminate your CO2 feed with a matching swivel nut/barb fitting? You can get the feed-through in various working lengths up to around 3.5" (morebeer.com has them, among others).

That's what I use to bring CO2 into my beer fridges and keezer. It's not quite as convenient as a QD, but otoh, how often do you actually break/make that connection? I've only done it once on the keezer, never on either fridge...

Cheers!

I was considering that before I discovered co2 quick disconnects and this awesome video on making your own co2 utility line. My tank is constantly in transit, since I brew in away from my apartment where my kegerator is, and I use the tank to push from the fermenter into the serving kegs. Also, my homebrew club participates in a lot of events, so I find myself carrying my co2 tank around with me quite often.

I get it, extraordinary requirements :)

Interesting video, I'm assuming that'd be an extension to solving the kegerator QD question.

Maybe some variation of this will work:

Find a big flat fender washer with a hole that will just pass the threaded end of that valved QD post. Use a Forstner bit just big enough to fit the washer and bore into the collar about halfway, give or take. Figure out how big a hole you'd need to run the interior tubing through the collar and onto the barb with an Oetiker clamp, and use an appropriately sized bit to drill clear through the collar at the center of the bore. Put the washer on the post, run the nut tight, pull the interior tubing through the collar, slide the clamp over the tubing, press in the post barb, crimp the clamp, and then epoxy the washer to the collar.

Ought to work ;)

Cheers!

I did something similar with QDs from MB. Just checked their site but they don't seem to carry the 1/4" MPT to make QD that I used onto a brass elbow and then a 2" nipple through my collar. I'll take a pic in the AM and post for you to see what I did.

My white disconnects look like the one in your picture.

I have all my CO2 tanks in one corner of the brewery connected to a distribution system (manifolds mounted on the wall or ceiling) with quick disconnects.
The disconnects are made by CPC and are the shut-off type.

A few pictures showing how I connected the keezer to the CO2 supply.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

CO2_Connector.jpg

100_3041.jpg

100_2943.jpg

CO2-Supply 3.jpg

I was hoping I could purchase this male QD: PLC VALVED PANEL MOUNT HOSE BARB COUPLING INSERT - 1/4 ID BARB
PLCD42004.jpg

However, I want to mount the QD to the back of my collar, which is roughly 1.5" thick. This QD is made to fit a panel with a much thinner gauge.

Thanks guys!

You can use the QD with your collar, easy to do.

Use a spade bit or a forstner bit to do the job.

Look at my picture as an example and you get the idea.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

100_3639.jpg

Back