Noob Question - "Weird" Kraussen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archmaker

Reaction score
Okay, I have had a Kraussen on the top of my wort for over two weeks, and it looks the same, same thickness, same texture, but I am still getting some bubbles through the airlock.

Took a gravity reading today and the kraussen that stuck to the pipette when it sat in the sink for about 3 hours was still there but it was uniform in color, water gently pouring on it does not make it disappear. Consistency, about that of caulk, same consistency, but brown in color.

Additionally information, I made a starter, 2L and it seemed to go okay, Wyest 1338 and when I poured it in I noticed some white stuff on top and vinegery smell.

Tasted the beer I pulled out to test and seemed okay (Oktoberfest) AG. It is currently at 1.021 and the OG was 1.052.

Anybody know what is going on? I am enjoying this hobby and I am going to let it stay in the primary for a while longer. Carboy temp 68.

BTW I have not posted a lot but I have learned a TON from all the information on here. Thanks to everyone that makes this a great site.

Vinegary smell isn't good at all, but if you tasted the sample and it's still normal, then I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Just leave it alone.

Kraussen is gone from the top and the beer is still tasting Ok.

Took a sample and my gravity is right at 1.018, which is where I am supposed to finish. Will wait a few days and make sure it stops right there.

It was weird, I looked yesterday, and it was still there about 1/2 thick, still looking like insulation foam, and when I got home today it was all gone, and it looks like beer should.

The sample was a little cloudy, but figure it will clear.

Took it about 2 weeks to go from 1.021 to 1.018.

For everyone, who is new to this, really take the advice relax and don't worry. This beer will by the time I bottle IF I do so this weekend will have taken a month to ferment out. I just left it alone and let it do what it wanted to do.

Back