Cider not foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechaMacster

Reaction score
So, I'm a beginner, but this isn't my first batch. Everything I've brewed up until has foamed nicely and bubbled in my airlock like it's supposed to. I had some friends taste my cider and they loved it and asked if I'd share some, so started 4 gallons (all in 1 gallon containers) and followed the recipe the same way I had initially. I did 1 gallon first (all made from Whole Foods Apple Juice) on a Thursday and it started out nicely. I went ahead and did the next 3 gallons on the following Monday and none of them are foaming at all. They're bubbling a bit (not super fast, but not snail's pace either) but they're foamless. they've been sitting there like this for just shy of 2 weeks now. My recipe calls for halting the brew at 2 weeks, think they'll be ready? or should I do something else?

Having "foam" or not does not mean anything. My last batch of cider didn't create and krausen and it turned out fine.

good to hear. I was a little worried and since I'm still fairly new, I haven't sprung for a hydrometer yet. Although a friend said I should just wait and save for a refractometer instead.

The batch of cider I'm fermenting at the moment didn't foam much at all. It has much to do with the temperature of the cider and the type of yeast. I was fermenting at 60 F with lalvin d47, and even though I had a good stream of bubbles, I didn't have much foam.

Back