I spilled a portion of my yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightcheek86

Reaction score
I just completed the White House Honey Ale last night and when pitching the yeast (Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast), I dropped the bag into the wort. Luckily I had sanitized the bag before opening it. After I dumped the rest in and put the lid on, I looked in the yeast packet to find that maybe 1/4th of it didn't make it in, and it was contaminated by the trash at this point.

Today when I woke up the airlock was bubbling the normal amount (couple bubbles a second) so I assume that I am fine, but would like to know if I need to add additional yeast. I feel I should be alright because of the amount of sugars that are in the ingredients, am I correct?

Here are the fermentables-
6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup
1 lb Gold dry malt extract
1 lb Honey

Any help would be much appreciated

You'll be fine. Likely it just took longer for the yeast to reproduce to a point to use up the oxygen and enter anaerobic stage. At the worst you might have some slight off flavors from the added on stress on the yeast or end up with fermentation getting stuck. When it stops action simply take a gravity reading to see where it is.

I just completed the White House Honey Ale last night and when pitching the yeast (Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast), I dropped the bag into the wort. Luckily I had sanitized the bag before opening it. After I dumped the rest in and put the lid on, I looked in the yeast packet to find that maybe 1/4th of it didn't make it in, and it was contaminated by the trash at this point.

Today when I woke up the airlock was bubbling the normal amount (couple bubbles a second) so I assume that I am fine, but would like to know if I need to add additional yeast. I feel I should be alright because of the amount of sugars that are in the ingredients, am I correct?

Here are the fermentables-
6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup
1 lb Gold dry malt extract
1 lb Honey

Any help would be much appreciated

Was the OG 1.062? According to MrMalty.com you technically needed the whole packet, but I'm sure it will be fine. It'll make beer. No worries.

Back