Another FlandersRed question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well hopefully I didn't screw this up and I wanted to see what other expierence is. I brewed a Flanders red yesterday and the brewday itself went perfectly but I think I may have added too many ibu's in it. I saw on the bjcp guidline 10-25 ibu's so I put in there 13 ibu's as I did not want too much hop presence and it to be pretty sour. After brewing the beer and doing everything I was watching a podcast on Flanders reds and it said you should never add more than 10 ibu's or it will not sour because the alpha acids will kill the souring bacterial.did I totally mess this up or will it be ok ?thanks.

Most likely it will be fine. Are you using a WY or WL blend? The lacto strains they use usually don't stand up well against hops but the pedio should be fine and it will do enough souring on its own.

Petrus Aged Pale is hopped to way more than 13 IBUs and it still sours.

Most likely it will be fine. Are you using a WY or WL blend? The lacto strains they use usually don't stand up well against hops but the pedio should be fine and it will do enough souring on its own.

Petrus Aged Pale is hopped to way more than 13 IBUs and it still sours.

Yeah I'm using the wyeast rosealare blend. damnit I should have figured to go under 10 as I just did a Lambic a month ago and I know the blends are similar. My bad though for not thinking of that as well as trusting the bjcp as a brewing tool instead of a refrence guide. How impeded shoud the lacto be by those 3 ibu's ? will I get anything from it ? or will it be killed off instantly ?

The lacto will probably be fine. 13 really isn't that high, anyway. Even if the lacto doesn't do a lot of souring the pedio will do the job. If you're really concerned about it you could pitch some dregs from commercial sours. They are likely to have some more resistant strains of lacto that will make up for what WY's lazy strain may not do.

Your all probably right and it will be ok if not just a bit weakened. Well bottom line is it will be what it will be at this point so at the 8 month mark ill take a sample than possibly add either some dreggs or a pure culture from ecy.

Back