Stong St Peters IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_m

Reaction score
I guys new to the forum
Firstly I'd like to say thanks for all the great content.
This will bey 4th brew. Thus far only used Kits.
I am planning a st peters ipa. It states 5.5%. I would like a stronger %.
I have a pack of saf s-33 which states a potential for 11.5%. What would I need to do to bring my brew to this level.
The st peters ipa states no sugar needed however I know the yeast has the potential to ferment more sugar. That being said should I pitch more sugar.

Any comments welcome

Thanks in advance

Yes but you probably want to keep it under 5-7 lbs or the extra sugar might start to affect the flavor

My initial thoughts were to add an additional 2.2lbs which is twice as much as usual. Obviously I don't want to negatively effect the taste in place of strength. Not looking to make moonshine just yet. Lol

It's good that you are still in the planning stages.

How about this: instead of taking an established recipe, and modifying the bejeesus out of it, why not find yourself a different recipe that is more in line with your wishes. It won't be St. Peters (I'm not familiar with that one), but you'll do better by using an established, unadulterated recipe.

Just a thought.

Sounds like a fair comment and good idea. I haven't yet done a recipe from scratch but hey as good a time as any I suppose. I wasn't too sure on the logistics of simply adding to the strength and the potential changes to taste. I already have a St. Peter's kit which is why I proposed its use.

The short answer is "add more fermentables."

The better answers is "start with a different recipe". A good beer is going to be in balance. The malt flavors will play against the bitterness and the hoppy aroma. If you dramatically increase the fermentables, you really alter that balance.

For the record, I would like to say that St. Peter's is one of my favorite brands out there. SOOOOOOOO Delicious.

The other day I was in my local LCBO store and I saw a St. Peter's Golden Ale Bubba Keg (5L), I nearly s*** myself. This post has provides no assistance what-so-ever, but I still get excited when I think about it.

Good to know I made a decent choice though. I was looking for a premium hoppy ipa and it looked one of the best. Would be interested in the buddha though

get more fermentables, extract, and some sugar. double the extact, and add a lb of sugar. Double the hops, or more. This is going to turn into a huuge IIIPA if you get it that big. Heck it's probably like a hopped barleywine that high in proof. I've made a 9.2% IIPA, and a currant 8.0% IIPA, and those are good. If I wanted to go that high, I'd make a barleywine and age the heck out of it.

Edit: I did talk about makeing a IIIPA... so maybe I shuold start planning that, lol

Sounds good in all honestly I don't think I'll be able to achieve the full potential out of the yeast unless I put more in. I think I'd be happy if it came out around 9%. Hey brewing is all about going outside the norm and experimenting at the end of the day. Who wants to brew box standard beers all the time

billy_m said:
Sounds good in all honestly I don't think I'll be able to achieve the full potential out of the yeast unless I put more in. I think I'd be happy if it came out around 9%. Hey brewing is all about going outside the norm and experimenting at the end of the day. Who wants to brew box standard beers all the time

Fyi, I used s-05, for both my IIPA's. So you can use that for a beer in the 9% range. Not sure what it's limit is, but just to let you know. I'm all about making big different beers. It's your beer, brew it how you want it. :) cheers!

Latest posts

Back