Odell's Mountain Standard Double Blak IPA...Uck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
So I stumbled upon this brew at the store tonight. Having never seen it before, I assumed it was a new offering.

As I tasted it, I was very disappointed. It has that "used to be good" flavor. I perceive it as oxidization, but my palate sucks, so take that with a grain-of-salt. After digging around the net, it looks like it looks like it was a one-time release over a year ago!

Why can't craft beer have a "release date", or bottled date, or some sort of indication? I just dropped $15 for a bottle of disappointment. Man that pisses me off. I'm not sure I can even finish this darned thing.

To be fair, I still would have bought it. After all, it's 9.5% so it should age well, right? Apparently not. I even looked on BA to see if I'm the only one that felt this way. Then I realized that if it costs more than $2 it'll score an "A" on that site. :rolleyes:

Oh well. A bad bottle of beer is better than a good bottle of water! :D

Bummer! But its all about the "Hunt" cause maybe tomorrow you will find just what your palate was looking for! Happy Hunting

I suppose so. Although, dropping that kind of money on a bottle is VERY rare for me these days.

Meh. Trying new beers is one of my favorite things to do. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Que sera. And I probably spelled that wrong.

I gotta say, Odell's "special release" beers usually tend to leave a bit to be desired.

I recall having one or two in the past that really sparked for me. This one is very noticeably "off", though. I think part of the problem is that almost all the hop flavor is gone, and for such a big beer it's not very malty. It's just bitter and oxidized. It smells awesome, though!

You might try it again now that this season's has just been released. I'm loving my 4-pack so much I'm now looking for a clone recipe. That 9.5% is potent and present in the taste, too!

+1 -- give it another shot. I didn't try this brew the last time it was out, so not sure about the off taste. This release, at least my bottle, is quite delicious!

I have bought several 4-Packs of this brew from this year! Its great and would recommend to anyone...

It is in my 10 best of all time!

Man, Curlyfat. Sorry you were disappointed. This is probably my favorite Odell beer. I hope you got to try it again in a more fresh state.

It's definitely a great beer when fresh. I picked up a 4 pack a week or two ago and finally got around to opening one up last night. I don't foresee the other three lasting very long in my fridge.

I am not a huge fan of "blacker" beers in general - because they lack the type of hop character that I like. However, Odell's Mountain Standard is an AWESOME exception to this. One of the best darks I have ever sampled. Of course, the only time I had it was at the brewery - so freshness wasn't a question. Good stuff.

That's high for any beer. I've been disappointed with all of their overpriced beers. I heard a lot of good things about Myrcenary IPA, then I tried it. It reminded me of the heavy syrup they used to put peaches in. I've had the last two in my fridge for a month. They've gotten their last nickel out of me.

That's high for any beer. I've been disappointed with all of their overpriced beers. I heard a lot of good things about Myrcenary IPA, then I tried it. It reminded me of the heavy syrup they used to put peaches in. I've had the last two in my fridge for a month. They've gotten their last nickel out of me.

Man! Myrcenary is a great beer to me. Ha ha. I love it. I have to say that I really disliked their burbon barrel stout out of the bottle. I had it fresh and it was great but out of the bottle it was digusting. Their Avant Peache is great too, if you like those kinds of beers.

It reminded me of the heavy syrup they used to put peaches in. I've had the last two in my fridge for a month. They've gotten their last nickel out of me.

How old was the bottle? Their 'drink by date' is 4 months from when they bottled it. I'm not here to slam your opinion, but Myrcenary is a world-class IIPA, so I find it odd that you really didn't like it.

i absolutely loved the mountain standard this year. we can't get it in iowa, but i picked up a few 4 packs in omaha when i was there and, in my opinion, this is one of the best black ipa's out there.

To each his own, and maybe you got a stinker, but IMHO Mountain Standard is one of the best new beers brewed in CO. Especially great on tap. I have seen it place #1 and #2 in local Colorado "best beers" articles.

i absolutely loved the mountain standard this year. we can't get it in iowa, but i picked up a few 4 packs in omaha when i was there and, in my opinion, this is one of the best black ipa's out there.

I concur about it being one of the best ones. Last time I had it was maybe back in November, but it was damn tasty!

How old was the bottle? Their 'drink by date' is 4 months from when they bottled it. I'm not here to slam your opinion, but Myrcenary is a world-class IIPA, so I find it odd that you really didn't like it.

I don't think it was old (not at home now, can't check the date). Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I think it just has to much caramel malt for my taste. In fairness, I'm not usually a fan of huge beers. I really haven't liked any of their beers - I've tried Levity Ale (not offensive, just lacking flavor), and another of their beers that escapes me. Taste is subjective - there are a number of really popular beers that I don't care for, and a couple that people like to bash (like SA Lat 48, for example) that I like.
If I were half the home brewer I should be, it wouldn't be an issue - I'd always have a bottle of my own IPA to crack.

I saw your username had MU, then looked at where you're from; cheers for Columbia, I live off Providence. Either way, it's a shame about the beer; I enjoyed it, so much so that I'm looking for a clone recipe.

So I stumbled upon this brew at the store tonight. Having never seen it before, I assumed it was a new offering.

As I tasted it, I was very disappointed. It has that "used to be good" flavor. I perceive it as oxidization, but my palate sucks, so take that with a grain-of-salt. After digging around the net, it looks like it looks like it was a one-time release over a year ago!

To begin, Odell is one of the best breweries in Colorado, if not the best (I do love SKA, as well as many others!). Hands down, it is the best brewery in Fort Collins, followed by Equinox Brewery (I don't believe you can get their beer outside of Fort Collins). My palate is specific to IPAs and Mountain Standard is by far, in my opinion, the best black IPA I have tried and I have tried a large number of them (Pitch Black IPA from Widmer Bros is another one I like that I tried recently).

Odell's beers do not have a very long shelf life and their reps are supposed to keep close eyes on their beer in the stores. They do not pasteurize which is why there are a limited amount of states that carry their beers, mainly due to beer laws and pasteurizing laws in each state. So, the fact that you had the beer a year after its release is the problem! I see you live in wyoming, so jump on I25 and head down here to Fort Collins and grab it from the tap room. Hell, make a day out of it and go to a handful of Fort Collins breweries. But to stick with the topic, come try a FRESH Mountain Standard and lets see if your judgment changes!

CHEERS!!

I'm not here to slam your opinion, but Myrcenary is a world-class IIPA, so I find it odd that you really didn't like it.

Many people really like coconut; I abhor it. Just one of those thangs...

Many people really like coconut; I abhor it. Just one of those thangs...

True, but coconut is a unique flavor with a unique texture.

It sounds like he enjoys IPAs. Myrcenary is a world class IPA. See what I'm getting at? That would be like loving coconuts, but hating say, Madagascar coconuts, even if Madagascar coconuts were deemed the best on earth.

I'll stand behind the fact he probably got an old bottle. Commercial IPAs and IIPAs don't fare well when kept on a store shelf. 3-4 months later it's a couple different beer. 6 months later it isn't even a shell of it's former self. Oxidation takes over and forms those fake-caramel flavors I associate with an old IPA.

I'm not saying he's wrong, everyone's palate is there own, I'm just saying, there's a good change he was drinking an old bottle.

Reviving an old thread, but curious if anyone who said they're looking for a clone recipe of the Mountain Standard has found one. If so, care to share?

Back