Longer to age in larger bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I recently heard that when bottling in larger bottles (ie. 22oz) that your brew would take a bit longer to age. Has anyone experienced this and is there any particular reason why this would be the case?

Thanks,
Mike

Takes longer to age whiskey in larger oak barrels, because the surface area to volume ratio goes down. Unless aging beer somehow involves the beer-glass interface, or the beer-air interface (in a good way), I don't see the size of the bottle making a difference.

To take it to an extreme, if a 22oz bottle ages notable slower than a 12oz bottle, then breweries would never be able to age 100 bbl batches. :)

Do you mean "age" or "condition"? If you mean condition, I've used 22s for some of my batches with no noticeable difference in carbonation levels when compared to the same beer conditioned in 12oz bottles.

Hmmmm...I'm not sure but I hear that 22oz bottles age better than 12oz bottles dealing with surface area or something..... In other words beer tastes better in 22's...Not sure but I'll do some testing once my 420 matures.

To take it to an extreme, if a 22oz bottle ages notable slower than a 12oz bottle, then breweries would never be able to age 100 bbl batches. :)

Agreed - that's why it was so confusing for me. I don't mind if it's the case, but I just want to know what to expect when I bottle in 22's and whether I need to wait it out a bit longer or not

Re-read my post and I may not have been clear. I don't think there's any way it could make a difference in conditioning time. Unless you're VERY careful in getting the O2 out of your bottles, the 22oz will expose your beer to less O2, and therefore make a better beer.

What you are referring to is the AGING of a beer, as in long term again. Not initial conditioning.

As oxygen ingress is going to happen over the course of years, the idea is that since an upright 22oz bottle and an upright 12oz bottle have roughly the same surface area in contact with the airspace, the larger volume bottle has a larger ratio of liquid to air, thus making the effects of oxidation less noticeable.

Hope I'm making sense. I'm kind of tired.

Gotcha - so from an AGING standpoint, 22s are a bit better since the effects of oxidation over the long haul will be smaller due to the liquid to air ratio.

For CARBONATION / CONDITIONING, no difference?

Back