another primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
I saw the other post about the duration in the primary, but I have a slightly different question. I HAVE to brew this weekend and I just racked into my secondary today. I usually use the 1-2-3 rule, but since I just racked to the secondary on my previous batch then that will be occupied for 2 weeks. Looks like I may need to keep my brew for this weekend in the primary for 2 weeks. Does that present any problem? Too long? Thanks.

Joe

2 weeks is not a problem, even a month works. You could leave the second batch in the fermenter for 3 weeks & rack to the bottling bucket, you just have to be a little more careful.

I agree with David. I let my primary go for at least 10 days if not 2 weeks. I have also made sure that the temps for primary are around 65-68. I shorten the secondary time to one week and see no difference except that I beleive I get better fermentation.

Who says you have to secondary? In a carboy, no less?

Brew on. Primary fermentation for 2 or 3 weeks then bottle. Then patience grasshopper.

The trub in the bottom of the primary only becomes a problem after 6 to 10 weeks. Sometimes a touch less. Sometimes a lot longer. Some folks have reported forgetting a primary in the basement for 6+ months and ultimately having a darn fine beer.

Back