Different serving pressures - worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
Hi I am just putting together the equipment to build a kegerator - and I had a question about serving pressures - If I get a regulator with multiple gauges (i.e more than two) I can serve beers a different pressures - is that really worth the extra cash? I'm not planning to force carb, so I'd only need different pressures for two or maybe three pressures - and just use the nearest one to the precise pressure - or is it worth going the extra mile and having a dedicated gauge per keg, to really fine tune?

I've come a long way from the $60 starter kit, that's for sure :eek:

it depends on how many styles you're brewing and serving concurrently. i've got 2 regulators and a splitter on one....3 taps. suits me fine, but i only brew ale styles. even so, having 2 allows me to have an english bitter at low carbonation and american ales higher. also nice to be able to force carb one keg at high pressure for a day or tow. for me, 2 gauges are enough, but i wouldn't want to have just one.

I think you'll regret not having at least 2 gauges some time down the road. Being able to serve at different pressures it nice...but being able to force carb at a higher pressure for a couple of days....priceless....

Thanks for the comments. I'll be agnoizing over this for some time I can see, and even though I say I'm not wanting to force carb, it definitely makes sense to be able to force carb, for the odd batch here and there...

Thanks for the comments. I'll be agnoizing over this for some time I can see, and even though I say I'm not wanting to force carb, it definitely makes sense to be able to force carb, for the odd batch here and there...

I dont think you'll agonize that much over 2 serving pressures. But you sure as hell will be force carbing. Dude its just way too easy and just makes so much sense. Just set it and forget it. :D

Using kegs and not force carbing doesn't make sense. It's so handy! And you have so much more control. Trust me, you will want to force carb!

Also, I did not think I'd want different pressures for different kegs either, but now I wish I'd bought a dual reg system to start with.

Every step along the home brew path I've thought I wouldn't need the next one... I won't be going AG, I won't be growing my own hops (or trying to), I won't be kegging my beer. It's cost me money buying small then replacing - it's time to think ahead this time around.

I have 3 taps in my kegerator and use a simple stainless cross and I dispense all my brews and apfelwein at 12 psi. No manifold, no valves (except on the regulator), just one hose split to 3 gas lines for three kegs.

Every step along the home brew path I've thought I wouldn't need the next one... I won't be going AG, I won't be growing my own hops (or trying to), I won't be kegging my beer. It's cost me money buying small then replacing - it's time to think ahead this time around.

+1!!!

Another benefit to force carbonating is that you will have less sediment in the keg and clearer beer.

and when ordering, you want a 2 body regulator, don't confuse that with the number of guages (Dual Body should have 3 guages)
4) CO2 Beer Regulator, Dual Body, Three Gauge, Taprite Brand

I originally wanted to served soda to the kids on my kegerator. I thought it would be a fun thing to make and enjoy with them. Even so, I did not get a dual regulator system. Kicking myself now. Even if I didn't put soda in there, I would want a different fizzy level on my beers.

I have 3 taps in my kegerator and use a simple stainless cross and I dispense all my brews and apfelwein at 12 psi. No manifold, no valves (except on the regulator), just one hose split to 3 gas lines for three kegs.

Is that for all beer styles - lager, hefeweizen, ale...? Do you do any force carbing, Ed?

Back