Airlock on a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I used to ferment in a corny due to the size of my freezer (couldn't fit a carboy well). I used some 3/8" ID silicone tubing to go over the threads and hold the airlock to the keg.

I took the gas side post off to stretch the hose over the threads.

PC230020.JPG

PC230021.JPG

PC230022.JPG

I've got a Firestone keg with a bad relief valve. Since the whole assembly is plastic, I've thought about putting a grommet in for an airlock. The only problem I could see is since the lid tends to need pressure to seal, I'd be afraid of some kind of nasty getting in past the lid o-ring.

I got a corny several months ago for $5.00 b/c it would not hold pressure. One of the posts is bad; I can't remember now which one. I bought a small diameter drilled rubber stopper and planned to do something similar. Thanks for posting this. It's the kick in the butt I needed to remind me to do this!:D

I was thinking of doing lagers in the primary here, but I'm concerned about how full to make the corny keg. I shoot for 5.5 gallons of wort to end up with a full keg at the end after racking, etc. If I fill up the corny to the top for primary fermention, won't the foam go nuts and get everywhere? Would that hurt yeast performance, I would guess.

With foam control drops you can get it pretty full, you won't end up with 5 gallons to keg though, you'll loose some to the needed headspace and some to the trub. I would say the max is around 4 gallons of finished beer in kegs/bottles.

Back