Munich in my Stout>>>????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidfromkanada

Reaction score
I have some Irish Ale yeast around and am gona do a Irish red then jump a Stout on top of my yeast. I was thinking about Changing the Guiness recipe with Munich instead of the Pale malt. Should i adjust and add more roasted malt to this?

Thanks all, enjoy the holidays:rockin:

You could try changing all of your 2-row out for munich, which will result in a much roastier, maltier, fuller beer. They have similar yields according to my copy of How to Brew (80% for 2-row versus 75% for munich).

The problem you'll have is diastatic power. Normal 2-row has a diastatic power of 140, while munich only has 30. This could cause problems.

It would be easier and/or better to use munich as 33% (just guessing off the top of my head) of your total grain bill as a maximum.

EDIT: Consider using vienna or mild ale malt instead of 2-row if you're thinking about doing something zany.

Thank you for the info Jack
Going on what you put forward I think I'll use 30% Munich 35%Pale 25%Flaked Barley 10% Roasted Barley, Im also going to do a decoction mash to help this beer out a bit, and make it a little more old fashioned, which I like, and got plenty of time to do.(damn i need a job)

Happy holidays

No problem. Since last posting, I discovered that people have done SMaSH brews using 100% munich so I guess it is possible to do. It probably hurts your efficiency more than it hurts your beer. Just to clarify what I said earlier.

As you have learned, you can use Munich as a base malt. That's a good idea for a stout. But your recipe with 30% Munich sounds real tasty. You'll be fine either way.

well all things sound pretty good, well as soon as i can find a homebrew store im going to be adding this recipe to the books. should be a good one
Thanks all and merry christmas

My ears - they burn! :D

As my two other threads on the subject can attest, munich made an excellent base for a stout. You just have to be prepared for it to take a while to mature or you'll miss all the malty flavours. Also for a dry stout with ~25% flaked barley I would replace at least a couple pounds of munich with 2-row just to make sure you will get full conversion (the percentages posted above sound good).

Back