JW Dundee's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
1498rwo.jpg

I used to drink Honey Brown a lot. I saw the sampler pack today and thought sure, it's craft beer. I'll go for it. Plus, twas on sale.

Actually the first case I grabbed broke and sent 12 bottles of beer crashing to the floor.:eek:

So I bought another one.

blah so far.

I did not care much for the Pale Bock Lager, and the Hef isn't much better (it claims to be unfiltered, but it's pretty damn clear to me).
I'm hoping the IPA is decent.....I think an IPA would be a nice bedtime beer.

Is Dundee a true craft brew? I always thought it was one of those "fake" craft brews really owned by some giant brewer. I've actually only seen the Honey Brown, which I'll occasionally order when there's nothing else to get. It's no great shakes though.

I didn't even know there were other "flavors". Report back on the rest.

I saw the sampler pack today and thought sure, it's craft beer.

That's the idea behind the repacking....brought to you by Highfalls, AKA Genesee. They dropped the "JW" and call them Dundee Ales and Lagers now. A few of their beers get some decent feedback and I have a friend that really likes the IPA. I've not had any of their product for years. Course, it all has to be better than Genny Light!

Every JW Dundee beer I have had tastes like roughly the same thing, with a little bit of flavor and color nudging it toward a particular style from some common, bland center point. I think it's definitely in the "fake" craft beer category. IMO, the only thing it had going for it was that it used to be dirt cheap - I remember just a few years back it was $8 for a 12 pack. Now with beer prices jumping, it's up to like $12.50 here, making it just enough that I would rather either pony up for something better, or keep my money.

Every JW Dundee beer I have had tastes like roughly the same thing, with a little bit of flavor and color nudging it toward a particular style from some common, bland center point. I think it's definitely in the "fake" craft beer category. IMO, the only thing it had going for it was that it used to be dirt cheap - I remember just a few years back it was $8 for a 12 pack. Now with beer prices jumping, it's up to like $12.50 here, making it just enough that I would rather either pony up for something better, or keep my money.

I agree. All of their beers seem to have the same 'twang' to them... and twang in your beer is never a good thing.

As for good beer for the price, I was at Kroger the other day and they had 12 packs of SA Octoberfest on sale for $12.99. At $1.08 per beer, I'll drink SA Octoberfest all day.

Yeah, it was 8.99 for the 12 pack.
I 'm gonna give the IPA a shot. I don't know if I can handle 3 disappointing beers in one night. I pulled a Rogue Chocolate Stout out and put it in the fridge just in case.

IPA not awesome.

I grabbed this sampler right as I was starting to get into craft beers. I Tried one from every style and gave the rest away. Why drink bad beer when there is so much else out there that is real craft beer and is actually good. They even sell it at the local corner store that only sells BMC

I have tried the sampler a couple of times and I agree there is better beer out there, but I am not such a beer snob that I would give them away. It is still beer and some with decent hoppiness.

Hehe, maybe I'm being so harsh because I just have Highlife in the fridge.

I don't mind the Honey Brown. It's a little sweet, and drinking it at the tail-end of a long night of drinking has wound up with upchucking more times than I would prefer... but that's my own damn fault. I think it tasted slightly better before the re-branding, but it may just be me.

I've never seen the rest of them around here, but will probably avoid them.

Honey Brown is the first beer I really liked. Now I don't really care for it, but I have to give it credit in that it got me to give beer a chance.

Yeah, Honey Brown was one of my "gateway" beers.

Chriso said:
It's a little sweet, and drinking it at the tail-end of a long night of drinking has wound up with upchucking more times than I would prefer...

That's funny. I had the exact thing happen last night when I had a Honey Brown. I cracked open and the first thing that came to mind was hugging a toilet. Not saying the Honey Brown was utterly revolting or anything, but I must have over-imbibed on the stuff once or twice in the past.

As long as I *start* with the Honey Brown, I'm A-OK Fine all night long! But if I'm already 6, 8, 10 beers in, then I try to sip down a Honey Brown, I feel like saying some prayers to the porcelain altar.

Before they changed the packaging and name they used to put an amber in that was pretty decent. Are they still twist off's? I haven't had one in some time. The price was always the reason for picking them up. Can't beat 9 bucks for a 12 pack.

I used to drink MGD until I was at a Hooters once with a bunch of people and I got turned onto Honey Brown. Drank it whenever I could for a few years. This was like 10 years ago. I haven't had any recently though. Now my beer of choice seems to be Mich Ultra. I like Fosters and then Molson XXX when I can find it, but most corner bars don't carry it.

BACK from the dead!
I've never had Dundee's before but I went home for thanksgiving and bought a sampler pack of this just to try new stuff. over all it's just "eh". someone said each beer tasted like it came from the same basic recipe and was just slightly tweaked for each style. . . I was talking to my brother and said pretty much the same thing. overall they're drinkable and I wouldn't turn one down but I also wouldn't buy them again unless they're were on some sort of super sale.

BACK from the dead!
I've never had Dundee's before but I went home for thanksgiving and bought a sampler pack of this just to try new stuff. over all it's just "eh". someone said each beer tasted like it came from the same basic recipe and was just slightly tweaked for each style. . . I was talking to my brother and said pretty much the same thing. overall they're drinkable and I wouldn't turn one down but I also wouldn't buy them again unless they're were on some sort of super sale.

I like the pale ale and the pale bock. They used to sell sixers of the pale ale by itself and I'd usually buy that. The pale bock out of the sample pack isn't bad and is a fairly clean tasting beer to mix in with the others.

I was given a sixer of the honey brown the other day (WOO free beer) and I find myself a little put off by the sweetness of it. It doesn't taste "bad" but, I feel like if I finished six of these in a day I would get diabetes.

I am not gonna dump them (read: cheap ass) but I may have to sneak them in after a few IIPAs so I don't taste them as much.

EDIT: this stuff is also WAY too clear It turned my beer glass into a rather large magnifying lens, so I ended up staring at my fingerprints on the back of the glass.

High falls brewery (local to Rochester) was just sold. So Genesee / High Falls / whatever the new name will be, may start to taste different in a year or so if the new owners change things up.

Back