Need to use up some WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I saved some yeast slurry (WLP001) from my Quincentennial IPA a few days ago when I moved it to the secondary, and it's been in a growler with an airlock in the fridge.

I'm thinking I want to brew something this weekend and give that yeast something to work on.

Keeping in mind I can only do partial boils at this point (on my crappy electric stovetop), can anyone suggest a favorite extract or PM recipe that would work well with California Ale yeast?

Perhaps an APA?

Almost anthing can be brewed with that yeast. Many american breweries use it as their house yeast. Check out Edworts Haus Ale.

+1 on using that yeast for damn near anything, especially American styles. I nice amber ale is always nice to have around, especially if you just did an IPA.

Yeah, I really want to brew a batch of EdWort's Haus Ale, but I can only do a boil volume of about 3 gallons and I'm not sure how to adjust the recipe to accommodate that.

An amber ale does sound like a good idea too... Thanks for the suggestions.

All you have to do is convert the recipe to a five gallon extract recipe and brew as normal. Prior to pitching just top up your fermenter with clean water to achieve 5 gallons. Your gravity going into the fermenter will be high but once you add the water it will drop down to the range that you are looking for. Do you have beersmith or another similar program? If not, you can sign up for their free trial and put the recipe in. This will help you with your calculations.

Cheers

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale-Extract Version
Thanks to Beersmith for the conversion

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.74 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 78.62 %
2.10 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 21.38 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.17 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Awesome, MattMann... thanks!

And surfbrewer: I just downloaded the BeerSmith trial to see how that conversion from PM worked. Thanks.

So far I love Beersmith. And just got making my new mash/lauter tun, and I think I am going to try the Haus Pale Ale tommorow. That's why I already had it up and running.....

I've tried both of the free trials for beersmith and promash. Even though both of the programs have their own merits I personally prefer Beersmith. I know others swear by Promash but as I said I prefer Beersmith. The best $20 bucks I ever spent.

Good luck on your brew. Cheers.

I've recently returned to brewing after a 10 year hiatus. Brewing software is the best new piece of equiptment by far. I use Brewsmith and it tells me everything I need to know about my recipe. Brewing without entering the recipe in brewsmith now seems like "winging it".

btw, to your original ?: You can brew almost anything with that yeast. Try a pale, bitter, brown or amber ale. They will be tasty.

Back