BJCP Style Guidelines in audio format??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrowell15

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this exists at all, and if yes, how/where to find it?

I think it would be a great tool to help me study for the BJCP exam.

Thanks!

Stephen King said in an article he never has time to read, so he pays his kids to record themselves reading all the obscure books he likes that don't make it into audiobooks. I'm sensing a hole in the market here for brewing books.

Check out the brewing network archives. The Jamil Show used to be based on BJCP styles before it morphed into "Can You Brew It." Over the course of 3 years they made a 1hr show on every BJCP category, complete with discusions, ingredient options and a recipe. It was basically what he did with "Brewing Classic Styles" but in a talk show format. Really worth listing to.

Link:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show

you will have to go back a few years.

Yes, thank you, I have been in the process of listening to those. But at an hour plus (with a lot of off topic info) I'm going to have a hard time listening to each one once(before the exam in May), let alone multiple times, which I will need to really commit to memory.

I need something shorter that I can listen to over and over again while flying, driving, doing mindless work, etc... Like the Style Guidelines themselves.

If I can't find anything I will probably end up recording them myself.

Maybe just pass it through a text to speech converter? Most likely it'll be dry and have a number of mispronounced words, but it should help.

So I tried the text to speech converter, great idea, it works decent, but it just sounds so...off. I think I would be afraid it would distract me to much and be hard to follow.

So I'm starting tonight working on recording them myself. I'm thinking the best bet would be to do each style sub category separately.

Wish me luck! haha

SO how'd it go? I tihnk I will try this recording thing, because I am reading the info but it doesn't seem to be sinking in well. What other advice can you give for the entrance exam? I want to test in mid Feb (~6 weeks)

Well, the little bit I did get recorded and listened to definitely helped, just wish I would have tried harder at getting it all recorded. I do remember when taking the online entrance exam that knowing a lot about the style guidelines is very helpful. I remember a lot of questions about differences between sub categories, like your different browns or porters. And questions regarding the history behind some beers as well. It would not be a waste of your time to record them, that's for sure.

Back