Quick question am i in the clear ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCREW

Reaction score
Ok so my fermentation has stabilized over the past few day so ive added a carbonation drop and bottled 1 beer . I left it overnight and thankfully there were no explosions ! So is it safe at this point to bottle the rest of my batch ?

SCREW said:
Ok so my fermentation has stabilized over the past few day so ive added a carbonation drop and bottled 1 beer . I left it overnight and thankfully there were no explosions ! So is it safe at this point to bottle the rest of my batch ?

I assume you bottled the single beer first and added the carbonation drop rather than adding the drop to the entire carboy then bottling one beer. If the gravity was stable I would have just primed and bottled the whole batch bottling is a pain so better to get it over all at once imho.

Sg is 1.012, yes one carbonation drop in each bottle is this correct ? Question is am i safe to bottle the rest as the one left overnight didnt blow ?

I think the OP is asking if one night of carbing is enough to know that he/she won't have bottle bombs. The answer is that it is probably not long enough to know. To keep it succinct, during the bottle carbing process the feelig is that it takes the yeast about 2-5 days to process the newly introduced sugars from your carb drop and make CO2, so one night is probably not quite long enough to know. **NOTE: full bottle carbing process for proper carbonation takes 3 weeks in my experience**

What other posters are asking, and why it is the correct way to think of "is it safe to bottle", is that if the SG of your beer is stable for 2-3 days in a row in your fermenter, there are no more fermentable sugars remaining in the wort. Bottle bombs can happen if there is too much sugar (either from adding too much priming sugar (ie. carb tabs) or from having too much remaning sugar in your beer prior to fermenting (ie. bottling too soon) )

To know for sure if it is ok to bottle, check SG 2-3 days apart and if the final gravity is stable and at/near your expected FG based on yeast attenuation, you can feel confident in bottling safely. Then leave the bottles for 3 weeks or more to properly carbonate your beer.

Waiting until the FG is stable 2 days apart is proper practice to get no bottle bombs,& the recipes' intended flavor as per your brewing process. And 3 weeks at 70F isn't just for carbonation,it's for conditioning the aroma/flavors of the beer. Ime,conditioning takes about a week longer that carbonation.
Also,after FG is reached in primary,give the beer 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear before racking to bottling bucket. The by products of fermentation will be eaten by the yeast after the sugars are all gone. That's the clean up & settle out clear part I mentioned earlier. No way will carb drops work over night. 3-4 weeks for an average gravity ale. Fridge time to get co2 into solution & drop chill haze isn't a quick process either. I always plan for 1 week fridge time bare minimum,2 weeks is better for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

^^^ What they all say.

I was surprised no-one mentioned the carb drops. I've never used them, but I understand there are a couple of types, and you might need more than 1 drop in a bottle.

If you can tell us what drops you are using and what type of beer you are brewing, someone might be able to tell you how many you should use in a bottle.

Forgot to mention that. I you're using Cooper's carb drops,one per 12 ounce bottle,2 for the Cooper's PET 740ml (25.16oz) bottles. The other drops that look like little pills can take as many as 4-6 per bottle to do the same job.

Back