It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
disposable-razor-0808-lg-82737737.jpg

I hate using them on patients BUT then again I dont have much (ok hardly any) chest hair :p

Everything went well today. My valve sounds good and the ekg showed things were great. Then at the pacemaker doc, they downloaded me, and it showed that one ventricle was 100% pacing on it's own, and the other was working at 70% and that in the last 6 months there were no cardiac episodes where the pacemaker had to do it's thing. So it looks all good for another 6 months.

I barely "know" you at all Revvy, but wanted to let you know I'm rooting for ya. Best of luck.

Avoid younger women, movies with ghosts in them, and pricetags in stores with French sounding names.

Revvy, I'm happy to hear that things have panned out as well as can be hoped for. So very glad that you're still kickin'! Best wishes to you!

sorry to hear that brother!

my step-daughter had aorta surgery about 4 years ago and it was SCARY

she came out just fine and I'm sure you will too.

thoughts from my family to yours

sorry to hear that brother!

my step-daughter had aorta surgery about 4 years ago and it was SCARY

she came out just fine and I'm sure you will too.

thoughts from my family to yours

You haven't noticed the date of this thread have you? :) The surgery was LAST Feb. Chriso just decided to bump it. I'm doing great.

Thanks for the thoughts though. :tank:

Chriso just decided to bump it.

Heh yeah just catching up on my mile-deep Inbox. Better late than never. Well. Uh. In most cases, anyways.

No joke though, now that you've had all of this recuperative effort, I would bet you're now in wayyy better shape than me, dude.
The past two years of idling have not been kind to my fleshy bits at all. Stairs are a Big Obstacle these days between the lack of breath, the dizziness, the ankles, the knees... Luckily I'm out of my desk job, and into a new one with a reasonable (but not overwhelming) amount of stairs and a decent cross-building walk.
But I don't think "daily activity" will fix this, I need to look into finding a P/T program or a fitness trainer or something. One of your posts from March-or-April-ish stuck with me, you had expressed frustration at your body not performing what you felt was a simple task, within what you've "always been able to do". That really got into my head.
I just need to focus on it, without beating myself up over it, I know I can build my initiative up again. I'm just not very good at the whole Life Changes thing. Not my forte at all.

Heh yeah just catching up on my mile-deep Inbox. Better late than never. Well. Uh. In most cases, anyways.

No joke though, now that you've had all of this recuperative effort, I would bet you're now in wayyy better shape than me, dude.
The past two years of idling have not been kind to my fleshy bits at all. Stairs are a Big Obstacle these days between the lack of breath, the dizziness, the ankles, the knees... Luckily I'm out of my desk job, and into a new one with a reasonable (but not overwhelming) amount of stairs and a decent cross-building walk.
But I don't think "daily activity" will fix this, I need to look into finding a P/T program or a fitness trainer or something. One of your posts from March-or-April-ish stuck with me, you had expressed frustration at your body not performing what you felt was a simple task, within what you've "always been able to do". That really got into my head.
I just need to focus on it, without beating myself up over it, I know I can build my initiative up again. I'm just not very good at the whole Life Changes thing. Not my forte at all.

Actually I'm not in all that great of shape. I did great during cardiac rehab, but after that I started rehabbing a condo and moving into it which took me 4 months, so I never did what I should have and got to a gym to keep the motivation going. I really need to. I'm good when I actually work out, it's getting to the gym that's my downfall. I wish you were here, we could push each other.

Actually I'm not in all that great of shape. I did great during cardiac rehab, but after that I started rehabbing a condo and moving into it which took me 4 months, so I never did what I should have and got to a gym to keep the motivation going. I really need to. I'm good when I actually work out, it's getting to the gym that's my downfall. I wish you were here, we could push each other.
With this! Getting in shape ain't easy. Good luck!

Eek, yeah, my wife and I joined the 'Y' last year, we went a handful of times in Sept and Oct. 10, then winter came, we got busy with other emergencies, and we never made it back...... we finally canceled our membership in August. We chalked it up to a "very generous donation" to their program. :)

I keep teasing my better half that we should "really" sell the house, move to "Detroitish" and buy cheap real estate there, that way we can both learn remodeling & construction but without having to pay through the nose for the house itself, leaving money for upgrades. :) I think we have at least a couple more years of hard work before we get to sell this heap though.

Hey Revvy, first, glad to see you are alive and kicking. On January 19th my 46 year old wife has to go in for open heart surgery and she is having a really hard time dealing with it. She can't even stand getting a needle let alone having her chest invaded by a stranger.

They have to go in, stop the heart, remove the valve and cut out a tissue obstruction which is inside of the valve...just an odd tissue growth/birth defect. Otherwise her heart and valve and arteries are all in great shape. This operation would be a total cure to her problem and has to be done or the heart will become sick.

The reason I bring this up to you is there doesn't seem to be much I can say to reassure her. I've learned to just not say anything lately and just give her a reassuring hug. Got any suggestions??? She's a great gal and loves beer just as much as any of us. I know for a fact she will be a total freaked out mess as this approaches now just a month away.

Tell her the anticipation is much worse than the reality. It's almost "unreal" how the stress of everything was so much greater that the actual surgery/recovery.

She's going to be out for everything that matters. If she lets them get the iv in her then not to long after she's gonna be asleep. And then she's gonna be on pain meds and wake up and it's going to be over.

The worst part of it all was, and at times still is, the pain in the ribcage. But the good thing is they will give her meds for as long as she needs them- tell he not to be ashamed of keeping needing them even if it's a couple months.

But I have a feeling if she gave birth, then in reality the rib pain is probably nothing.

The biggest thing is to realize that it's not 10 years ago, let alone 50, the advances in this kind of surgery and even post surgical recovery of it have gone lightyears. Most of the horror stories that people think of with this stuff comes from back then.

The really cool thing is that if she has any issues because of the blockage now- shortness of breath, tiredness, etc, she's gonna feel amazing IMMEDIATELY after she recovers from the immediate after effects of the surgery. When she's off the oxygen and all the drugs from the surgery are out of her system, even despite the pain of her ribs, she's gonna notice an improvement.

It's a weird situation. It is I think, one of the few surgeries, where the recovery after is not about the symptom or issue, but simply recovering from the effect of the surgery.

Our life is almost immediately improved once the repair is done, it's just that the ribs and chest took a beating to get to that point. It's not like for example having knee surgery where there's still a painful recovery where you have to keep moving the joint, and rebuild up strength in the muscles before you begin to feel better, on top of healing from the surgery.

With the heart stuff all we really have to do is recover from the surgery. And for the most part that's just about letting our ribs heal up, through sitting on our asses and watching tv....

If she wants to talk to someone pm me, and I'll give you my facebook info and even my phone number.

If I could do it, she can!!!

:mug:

Thanks Revvy, I'll get her to read your post this week when the time is right. She hates it when I tell her what other heart surgery patients have told me, but maybe she will be open to hearing something right from the source.

She gave birth to both of our kids so she's been through some tough experiences. She's a non stop mover. Always involved in something creative and usually can't sit still. She's afraid something will go wrong or she will be one of those patients that for some reason will be able to feel everything during the surgery and not be able to speak out. When they sent the camera up her vein in her leg to look at the valve she wasn't supposed to be able to feel it and she felt it all. She said it was unbelievable pain and the doc didn't care that the anesthesia didn't work correctly, so that's got her head out of whack. This from a 130 lb woman that is one tough girl.

Every time I try to reason with her about the surgery she gets angry and tells me she just wants me to hug her and not say anything, because I guess she feels like she's the one that has to go through it and maybe thinks, ''what does he know about it''? She doesn't want to be a burden on me because she has never had to in the 28 years we've been together. All I can tell her is that I will be there for her because I want to, not because I need to and that she has no choice...and we will get through it.

ILBMF - My wife has had problems with both anesthesia and pain meds. It can be really tough getting a surgeon to pay attention in the middle of an operation. Plus, you can't safely switch to a different one. Sounds like she needs to get some testing done before the main operation.

While we were dating, my wife had to have growth removed from her uterus. She was not used to someone being there for her or taking charge. I did everything necessary, which can be tricky when you have no legal right to do so. But none of her family, including her ex, stepped up. Stick with your last sentence and don't try to reason with her. Finding an anesthesia that works will help more than anything else right now.

Thanks Dave. She will go a week before the operation for an all day pre-op session which will include a visit to the anesthesiologist along with an MRI and whatever else they do. The surgeon is the head of the department and one of the best on the east coast.

So Revvy, it's been a hell of a long time since your surgery and it seems like you still have some serious BS to deal with. What's a typical day like for you right now and exactly how long has it been? Almost a year, correct? I see that you have had other issues unrelated to what my wife will have to deal with.

Hey, if anyone pops in here, I just wanted to mention that one of our members Boswell is having Mitral Valve surgery today....so hold him in your thoughts.

I may be in line for that one of these years. I'm 68 1/2 and am getting checked every 6 months to see if things are getting worse. Doc told me to keep doing whatever I want as long as it don't hurt. I still work out at the gym twice a week before bowling for 2 hrs. I hike twice a week doing anything from 3-12 miles a day. Doc said on a scale of 1-4 I'm a 3, but as of now I'm still goin strong.

Good luck to all old or young w/their health.
:mug:

My wife had open heart surgery about 5 years ago at 45. She found out she needed a bypass by having a heart attack. If anything its mellowed her out and we eat healthier. Good Luck.

nukinfuts29 said:
Man you guys make me feel old.

I'm only 27, but my weight gain lately is out of control.

At our age you can reverse that simply with 20min cardio 5 days a week and making simple food substitutions (i.e. brown rice instead of white, etc.)

I'm 6'4" and I've weighed between 200 and 215 for the last 8 or 9 years just by making simple adjustments.

At our age you can reverse that simply with 20min cardio 5 days a week and making simple food substitutions (i.e. brown rice instead of white, etc.)

I'm 6'4" and I've weighed between 200 and 215 for the last 8 or 9 years just by making simple adjustments.

215 at 6'4" puts you at a BMI of 26.2. Overweight starts at 25. Just saying this 'cause I'm also at or just over the "overweight" line as well, even though most people tell me I'm not. Only takes a few pounds to go over, and I can feel it.

Many people who think I'm skinny are actually obese (>30 BMI) and don't know it. Certainly we have a health care crisis in the U.S. with over 50% predicted to be obese by 2030! Just the increase in obesity from 2008 to 2030 is expected to cost $48-66 billion/year in health care costs!

Beer drinkers can do well by following your advice. I'm of the mind (at 60) that a good beer and some good(healthy) food is most enjoyed after a good hike, day of skiing, windsurfing or bike ride. It's when I drink and eat without regular exercise is when I creep over the line. Important for me, as heart disease is common on one side of my family. The numbers say it's important for others, as well.

Writing from the Silver State (neh-VA-duh),

Rich

Hey Revvy,
They just called me from the transplant center, the Docs are enroute to harvest a liver, if they like it it's mine.
Could have this (new to me) liver in stalled in the morning. They will call back around midnight to let me know if I need to go to the hospital. It could be the real deal.

I keep Y'all posted one way or the other.
Charlie

Charliec, All my best to you. I work at a major transplant hospital in the area and work in these cases quite a bit. I will be praying for your smooth recovery.

Don't let 'em talk you into the extended warranty. Never a good deal on used merchandise.

Wishing you the best!

I didn't get the liver, I only hope the person who did needed it more than me! The fact that I am getting offers is great, I ll get my turn soon enough. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers.

Revvy,

They can rebuild you. They have the technology.....

Feel better mang. I'm sure you'll be right as rain after the surgery. I had brain surgery myself this past summer and keep pace with your rehab, but don't push it. You'll be a little bit tired and exhausted at first, but you'll be back to chasing skirts in no time.

Revvy,

They can rebuild you. They have the technology.....

Feel better mang. I'm sure you'll be right as rain after the surgery. I had brain surgery myself this past summer and keep pace with your rehab, but don't push it. You'll be a little bit tired and exhausted at first, but you'll be back to chasing skirts in no time.

Uh...you may have not noticed, but the surgery was a YEAR ago.....;)

But thanks anyway. :mug:

Latest posts

Back