what yeast is best for warmer temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmiccycle

Reaction score
I'm using a small home brew in my apartment, and have no access to a cellar. I've been fermenting in my kitchen with temperature ranges from 70 to 85°F. What is the best yeast to use in those conditions?

I'm new to brewing and am trying to learn about yeast right now. I've just been using the dry yeast packets that come with the can of hme "brewers yeast". What difference does yeast types make? What would happen if the wrong yeast was used with a can? (eventually I want to advance beyond the can, but I'm taking baby steps)

What do you mean by "other ales"?

Saison yeast has such a strong profile, it will likely mask everything else in the beer, especially if you want to make a light blonde or malty pale, irish, etc. These yeast thrive in 75+ temps, but they're not clean enough to use as a "house" strain, I guess is what I'm saying. You could play with cleaner strains, even the typical 1056, wlp001, etc, and see how much of the hot fermenting flavors come out. It might be overpowering, or you might actually like the profile it gives to the beer. I think everyone has their taste, and I wouldn't stray away from particular strains that "HAVE TO BE FERMENTED BELOW 68F", because you might like how it turns out.

Back in the day i used safeale05 with swamp cooler... Fermented at about 75 without any ill effects

derte said:
Back in the day i used safeale05 with swamp cooler... Fermented at about 75 without any ill effects

Agreed, US-05 does well at these temps. Starts to get a little fruity (which I don't mind), but still pretty clean (I've never had any solventy or hot fusels from it at these temps). Several Belgian strains also thrive at these temps - I've used Chimay as high as 82 (outside bucket temp, so probably 84 inside) in a BDSA and it came out fantastic. But, Belgians aren't for everyone ;-)

you should look into a swamp cooler. aside from saisons, you really shouldnt ever be pitching >70

you should look into a swamp cooler. aside from saisons, you really shouldnt ever be pitching >70

i second this. cheap, easy and effective. by 'swamp cooler' we mean the brewers type, not the type you cool a garage with. search HBT for info on this.
as far as yeasts, saison, belgian, and wheat strains do well at warmer temps. the chico strain (s-05/1056/001) will work fairly well in the low 70's, in my experience. but, you do want tot have some sort of temp control anyway.

How big its a swamp cooler? I live in a small one bedroom apt.

I just got a rope tub from Walmart. About 8 inches bigger around than the fermenter. Put the fermenter in, add water, add ice if necessary, and cover the fermenter in a T-shirt that sits down in the water. As the water wicks up the fermenter and evaporates it cools the fermenter. A fan directed at it will speed evaporation and increase cooling if necessary.

Latest posts

Back