Chardonnay Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickled_Pepper

Reaction score
My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I know this isn't a home brew type question, but I thought maybe some of the more experienced wine makers might be able to help identify a flavor profile that I can't seem to figure out.

I experience a specific taste/aroma when drinking good quality chardonnay's. I don't get this taste from cheap chardonnay's or from other varietals. It also doesn't matter if it's aged in oak or stainless. Vineyard or region doesn't seem to matter much either.

The only way I can describe it is Lemon Pledge®. You know, the spray furniture polish. That said...it's definitely not unpleasant. It's just a mental association I guess. It's sort of a citrus cream soda type taste with a bit of chemical on the end.

A friend of mine owns a vineyard in North Carolina and he says that some people are sensitive to some of the myriad of compounds in wine and this could be the one that I am sensitive to. He also said that they prohibit malolactic fermentation in their chardonnay, so it's probably not the buttery taste of diacytel.

Well, I appreciate any insight.

Actually very good thought. Could it be that the better chardonnay's sit on the lees longer. I typically don't drink whites, but was interested in the weirdness of it so I can at least appreciate how it's in there.

Back