My 240V Build Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikonis

Reaction score
I've been all electric for awhile now. That is of course, if you count the electric stove as part of the "build."

I've been using a 120V e-RIMS for the better part of my brewing history. I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a completely stand alone 240V brew rig.

It may be overkill for 5 gallon batches. But I do not care. I love DIY and this is right up my alley.

I'm not drawing out a wiring diagram or anything. But Kal's build has inspired a whole lot of this build. Albeit, removing items that I do not wish to have in my build.

Here's the build sheet I've been using to track money and parts I need to order. It isn't everything that I've used, I had quite a few of the parts already that are not on this sheet. And other miscellaneous items such as wire are not on this either.
Build%20Sheet.jpg

Here's a link to my google spreadsheet for the build. It has the added heatsink that I forgot to put on the build list.
Google Spreadsheet Build Sheet

Here is the front panel I have ordered (not yet recieved) from Front Panel Express:
Front%20Panel%20Design.jpg

The mockup of the panel on the front of the NEMA enclosure:
Front%20Panel%20Mockup.JPG

I will be using a 3 way toggle switch to select either the HLT or boil kettle just as Kal does. The only difference being, I'll have 4 NO contact blocks on the switch so it switches the RTD sensor as well.

Mockup of the power inlets. This is not going to have an expensive etched panel such as the front, I plan on using a Ptouch labeler to print out some highly durable labels.:
Power%20Panel%20Mockup.JPG

And two shots of the holes mounted for the 4 XLR connects for the RIMS, HLT, Boil, and Chiller probes. They're all deburred and everything:
Exterior%20XLR.JPG

Interior%20XLR.JPG

And one last picture, of the back plate for the interior of the control panel:
Back%20Plate.JPG

A little blurry but you get the idea. Mounted everything with 8-32 machine screws that I drilled/tapped the backplate.

I'll have more pictures as more parts arrive over the next few weeks.

USPS just dropped off my heatsink
This thing is heavy... at least 8-10lbs
Massive%20Heatsink.jpg

Ignore the messy desk.

Is there anyway you could post the actual build sheet excel file? I'm trying to read some of it, and it's a bit small to read.

A couple more pics.
Location of heatsink:
Heatsink%20Location.jpg

I was drilling/tapping the holes to 10-32... and well, I broke off two of the drill bits into the aluminum (this is some thick stuff for my wimpy drill):
Oops.jpg

This is a problem, because I plan on anodizing this bare aluminum some sort of color so that it stays all shiny. Only aluminum can be in the acid bath for anodizing.

So to take care of that, I mixed up a solution of alum (the stuff that makes pickles crispy) and hot water. In a few days time, the ferrous drill bit should be all corroded away. Or maybe at least brittle enough i can redrill the holes with a 1/4" tap:
Alum%20solution.jpg

Looks like it going to be a quality build. What's the "plate chiller" cutout on the panel for - how are you controlling that?

Do you mind saying what you paid for the engraved panel from Front Panel Express?

All parts are ordered, just gotta wait for the slow shipping from China for some of the parts. Will post some more pics when I get home from work.

Looking awesome! I have also been putting together my front panel using Front Panel Express, very interested in how this turns out for you.

Looking awesome! I have also been putting together my front panel using Front Panel Express, very interested in how this turns out for you.

I can tell you the craftsmanship is top notch. Just make sure you measure 42094572 times before you order. Also, helps to print a tiled mockup just to make sure on fitment.

Still in packaging.
Panel1.jpg

Opened up.
Panel2.jpg

Super duper cool angle shot... ;)
Panel3.jpg

Your face plate is amazing dude... subscribing to this thread and bookmarking that company.

Any idea how long it will be before you get the components? Really interested in this build.

Your face plate is amazing dude... subscribing to this thread and bookmarking that company.

Any idea how long it will be before you get the components? Really interested in this build.

Well, I have *most* of the parts as is. I'm just waiting on a 2 position toggle switch, the power connector, and the plate chiller RTD panel meter.

The meter and power connector are shipping from China, and should be here sometime next week...

I'm not sure when the toggle switch will be here, it only comes from 4 hours away. But it hasn't shipped yet.

The rest of the parts will be here this week. I'll be posting a few more pictures in a bit after I tear apart my current control panel to rape some of its parts.

As promised, here's another pic.

Everything that I have at the moment is mounted.
Front%20Panel.jpg

I like the color combo, has a nice look.

Don't act like you weren't a little nervous screwing that face plate in.

I like the color combo, has a nice look.

Don't act like you weren't a little nervous screwing that face plate in.

Nah, i quadruple checked everything and drilled pilot holes...

Picked up some wire today, so I should be able to get some wiring done.

Ok, some progress.

I've received all of the parts from China, including this RTD Panel meter.
RTD%20Panel%20Meter.jpg

I would say I'm about 95% done with all the wiring. Still a bit messy, but not as bad as my previous projects.
Panel%20Wiring%20Almost%20Done.jpg

Here is a closeup of the way I'll be switching which RTD is being read via the PID.
RTD%20wiring.jpg

More to come as I get some time to finish it all up.

Looking good. I too am building a panel with a single PID for the boil and HLT. Can you tell me more about how you are wiring your RTDs? I see they go through the element select switch. Did you add on a few NO contacts for the RTD wires?
Thanks for you help.

Looking good. I too am building a panel with a single PID for the boil and HLT. Can you tell me more about how you are wiring your RTDs? I see they go through the element select switch. Did you add on a few NO contacts for the RTD wires?
Thanks for you help.

That is correct. 4NO contact blocks. 3 for the RTD. 1 for the HLT and boil relays. In theory, it should work. I will say this though; the cheapo Chinese contact blocks don't like more than 2 blocks on the switch. I have to put some downward pressure on the toggle switch while I twist or else not all of the blocks make contact.

Back