How does this Witbier recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarpozzi

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a Wit from DME. I don't know how much coriander to add because I don't have a scale yet. I've got whole coriander and a grain mill to crack it with. I'm also not sure how much bitter orange peel to add... Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems most people who make Wits do all grain...I'm just not there yet.

5 Gallon Batch

3lb Wheat DME
2lb Extra Light DME
1/4lb Whole Wheat Flour
1 oz Hallertau pellet hops (45 minutes)

Spices (2 minutes)
Coriander
Bitter Orange Peel

Everyone will have different preferences for corriander and orange peel. I've played with mine, and I like it as it is now. I use .65oz. of corriander, .35oz of bitter orange peel, and .25oz. of sweet orange peel. That's when I'm using dried orange peel though. Freshly peeled orange is much better in my opinion...and I usually use the peels from 4-5 oranges.

you can't make a real wit with extract only - wit's need unmalted wheat, which does have a different flavour than the malted variety that's used to make extract. However, you will still have a pretty serviceable beer with wheat malt extract, and the flour ought to help with the haze, though you don't need 1/4lb of it - 2 or 3 tbsp should be plenty. Make sure to mix it up into a slurry before adding it, or you'll just get lumps of coagulated flour in your boil. Also, since most wheat extracts are really only 50-60% wheat with the rest being barley, I'd recommend using 100% wheat extract instead of

Back