First brown ale results,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello all,
My first brown ale batch is reaching it second month. It now taste much better and the color is improving, more clear. I forced carbonate it in a corny. It has about half an inch of foaming when tap, however I think it is not as "perfect". It lacks the "tingling" feeing caused by gas on my tongue (flat?). Or was that the "spice" addition that causes that tasting? And its a bit on the sweet side. Any suggestions to improve?
That is compared to commercial New Castle, other than that I am completely satisfied with the batch. A side note is that we almost empty the keg, that means 50 bottles of beer in a month! I used to drink 6/month before. Would this lead to beer-holic?

Thanks.

Sounds like your recipe was based on a southern England style which tend to be a little sweeter. There are entire books written on brown ales. The style is easy to brew and hard to get exactly what you want. About 20% of my ales are browns and I'm still working on the recipe.

Back