1st time using cooler fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmitz

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple years, all with 65+ degree fermentation ales.

I just picked up a Kolsch Ale through morebeer, much to a mild surprise it asks for cooler 55 to 65 fermentation. I guess it's a good thing to dive into, although I wasnt expecting it to require a cooler temperature.

My question is it says "Age beer in cold storage for 2-3 months". 60degree cold, or refrigerator cold 40degree? or somewhere in between?
It would be a basement for me, in Michigan its a nice 40 to 60ish (yes it varies greatly) right now but in 2 months could rise to 65ish. "cold storage" seemed a bit vague to me, with lagers requiring cooler temperatures and my past ales preferring room temperature. It is after all an Ale. But I read too much into the whole Ale/Lager differences.

Secondly, it asks for a 55-65F fermenation. Is this based on activity of the yeast? (Ill be using a liquid yeast with no starter). What are the cons of a temperature dropping down to 40 to 50F, Inactive yeast?

Maybe I should relax, and have a hombrew, but I'm a bit nervous as its my first cooler fermentation.

Thanks guys.

I would say you're fine. And I suspect that cold storage would mean refrigerator cold, just like lagering, but with an ale yeast, right? Silly way to make beer, but it works for me too. :mug:

Yep, with an ale yeast no less.

Ill stick with the much cooler temperature for aging then, thanks Sasq.

This is the strange thing about Koelsch. It is brewed using an ale yeast , but then held at lager temps after primary fermentation. I brewed a koelsch last year, and after after the primary fermentation I racked over to carboy and stored it in the fridge for a couple of months.

This is the interesting part. I wasn't thrilled with the initial quality of the beer. Itwasn't bad per se, but not nearly as good as the real Koelsch. I stored the bottled beer in the fridge for another 6 weeks and it was excellent. I now wich I hadn't given so many bottles away :eek: !

Good luck with your Koelsch, this is one of my favorite styles.

Matt

After reading Psymn's response, it has now been in storage on my basement floor for 5 days and brought up another question.

It asks for cool storage. I don't have a beer fridge and the wife isnt going to enjoy fruity goodness resting at the bottom of the house fridge for weeks on end. Where its at now is on my cement basement floor, where temperatures are lucky to dip under 60degrees as summer's approaching.

Anyone else who has done a Koelsch or similiar strange Ale using Ale yeast that requires cold fermentation have any input?

I may packrat a few bottles into my fridge, but should I just wake up and run out to get a small beer fridge or is 60degrees not really going to cut it for condtioning and/or carbinating?

Thanks guys.

LOL... of COURSE you should run out and get a fridge for your carboy, cuz then you can lager proper with lager yeasts and get fabulous beer that you'll love.

That said, I did a pilsner recently, and didn't lager it at all, pitched Nottingham on it, and it's terrific... so ... do whatever you like!

Back