Yeast types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLRAB

Reaction score
I just brewed and bottled my first two batches of beer using Mr. Beer barrells and modified MB recipes which are below. I used the MB yeast that came with the HME. I am going to brew to more batches of the same but want to use different yeast to see the difference in taste if any. Want to use dry yeast since I am an FNG to brewing. Any suggestions?

LB OktoBier Fest
1 can MB Oktoberfest HME
20 oz. Bavarian Wheat DME *
¼ oz. Hallertau pellet hops*

LB Bavarian Bronze
1 can MB Oktoberfest HME
1 lb Golden Light DME*
1 Full pouch MB Booster
¼ oz Hallertau pellet hops*

Thanks in advance

I've used both of these yeasts in Mr. Beer and was really happy with the results.

Safale S-04:*A well known English ale strain noted for its fast fermentation and rapid settling. Used in the production of a wide range of ales including English ale styles. Available in 11.5g sachets. Info Sheet*Safale_S-04_HB
Safale US-05:*Ready-to-pitch American ale yeast for well balanced beers with low diacetyl and a very crisp end palate. Available in 11.5g sachets. Info Sheet*Safale_US-05_HB

Thank you for the info. I'm obviously very new to brewing and appreciate all the info I can get. I think I'm going to go with the Safale S05 or S23. With me using the MB barrel which is only 2 - 2.5 gallons do I use the entire pac or just half since most recipes are for 5 gallons?

STLRAB said:
Thank you for the info. I'm obviously very new to brewing and appreciate all the info I can get. I think I'm going to go with the Safale S05 or S23. With me using the MB barrel which is only 2 - 2.5 gallons do I use the entire pac or just half since most recipes are for 5 gallons?

Yes use the whole pack. The more yeast you start with the better. Good luck!

Well, it looks like you want to brew a lager so I would suggest the S-23 over the US-05. The US-05 is an ale strand. The S-23 is for lagers. I would pitch the whole packet also. Lagers generally need twice the yeast of an ale pitched because of the lower fermentation temperatures. I use two 11.5 gram sachets of S-23, rehydrated, when I brew 5 gallon batches.

There is also SafLager W-34/70 you can try. It's another dry lager yeast. I used it in a Vienna last year and liked the results a lot.

Do you have your temp control ironed out for lagers? Do you have a fridge to use for the long lagering period? If not, you be better off brewing ales...........to a prescribed recipe.

Rick

I'm keeping the barrels in coolers in back room closet and temp held steady at 62 on both of them. That should be fine for lagers shouldn't it? Or should I get it down in the 55 range?

Thanks again all for the info.... very helpful!

Back