The Perfect Brew Stand [Discussion]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksharpesays

Reaction score
Greetings Home Brewers and DIYers!

I had a few questions about what sort of brew stands everyone is using. I will post a few numbered pictures of different styles just to get a general idea of what is most popular. If you could when you reply to what you use, answer the following questions that would be great. I want to build my own but there are so many different variations- I have no idea where to even begin.

A. What do you like about your stand?​
B. Weldless or welded? Why do you prefer that?​
C. Did you build it or purchase it pre-made?​
D. What would you change about it? (if anything)​
E. If you could have 1 of the other variations below, which would it be?​

BrewStand5.jpg

BrewStand6.JPG

BrewStand1.jpg

BrewStand8.jpg

BrewStand3.jpg

BrewStand2.jpg

BrewStand4.jpg

Thanks a lot to everyone (in advance) for any answers you provide!

If you are using electric or wooden setups feel free to mention it, post a picture... I'm just trying to see what the general consensus is.

There are umpteen variations out there. Take inspiration from any or all but ultimately build it to fit you. Walking through your process on paper will be a great help. Then pick and choose the options that work for you.IMO, that was half the fun of building my stand.

It would help if the levels on each stands were labeled. I assume that the higher ones are the HLT , the mid level is the MLT and the lower one is the boil kettle. I like #2 as it resembles what I use except that mine is a temporary thing set up each time I brew. I don't have a pump so I have to use gravity flow.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, trying to figure out cost (materials, time, parts) and ease. I looked at #2 and #5, ended up going with #2.

Where I work I ended up with 3" angle for free from the scrap bin so I spent the next few weeks welding it up. I used a burner at every level and used converted kegs, I like the idea of a direct fire MLT and not having to use a pump (so some savings there). The one downfall I have found is getting the water to the HLT, the stand is 5.5 ft tall and with a keg it's 7.5 so climbing on the ladder to add water is a pain.

I have used it for a few brews and love it, I don't think I would change a thing. As far as cost goes the only money that was spent was on burners and plumbing, I found burners on eBay 3 shipped for $55, 20 psi regulator for $25 shipped and plumbing iron pipe, fittings, tubing and ball valves were about $100.

If you are not a welder and want to go wood there are some great rigs out there to get ideas from, I was thinking of wood first since I have a pile of 2x4's left over from another project. If I had gone wood I would have built #5.

I built a welded #5 but should have opted for a 6 or 7. It would have been nice to use only one pump rather than 2. That being said, the style that fits you best is the one you want. All of those stands have there + and - to them. What fits your brewing is the one you want. Don't go cheap and hate it every time you use it.

Actually I do none of the above. Between my brother and I, we had three turkey cooker burners and three kegs. The pumps sit on concrete blocks just to get them off of the floor. The filter also sits in a concrete block. I would actually have trouble moving to a stand. Everything except for the blocks and the propane tanks packs neatly in a gladiator cabinet right now. All the hoses are SS quick connects for quick setup and tear down.

319697_4139171362670_1385227918_3672349_1884641464_n.jpg

I had a few questions about what sort of brew stands everyone is using. I will post a few numbered pictures of different styles just to get a general idea of what is most popular. If you could when you reply to what you use, answer the following questions that would be great. I want to build my own but there are so many different variations- I have no idea where to even begin.

A: I like that it's completely independent of anything. I DON'T like that I have to run water up to the HLT, but I DO like that it's gravity fed.
B: Welded - although mine is actually partially welded. I have shelves that fit into shelving slots. I cheat.
C: I built it - it used to be an old-fashioned server stand that i modified.
D: I AM changing it - I'm adding a propane manifold and a single pump to lift water from the bottles up to the HLT.
E: Mine is like unto
BrewStand6.JPG

No problem!

You're going to get as many different opinions as you will get responses.

I'm headed to a brew day on 11/3 and there should be 10-15 guys there with their brew rigs and I expect to see 10-15 different rigs, with different reasons for each thing.

I do three-tiered simply because I like gravity! Heck, it worked for Newton, it'll work for me! :D No wires, no fuss. I also get confused looking at all the hoses. . . :D That's just me.

I can't automate much about it, though. Not that I mind - I like CONTROL! :ban:

Here's a pic of mine.
IMG_8814.JPG

I would vote for brew stand #3 as this is the one I built. It is the most compact, designed for one pump but you can easily brew without one and transfer by hand. You can gravity feed into the BK and do decoction mashing very easy (gravity drain wort into boil kettle, heat and recirculate). The boil kettle is at a perfect height for brewing and carboy transfers. Here is a picture of my set-up.

IMAG0858.jpg

I built this "convertible" brew stand to keep my options open. It was built as a 3 tier gravity feed system with a removable tower as the top tier, and a separate standalone burner for the lowest tier. Originally, I planned to run just gravity for a while till I could afford a pump, hoses, and disconnects. I wasn't crazy about needing a ladder for any part of my brewing, but especially carrying 10 gallons of water up to the HLT. After 1 brew, I invested ($30) for a drinking water approved hose, and that made a big difference. Now I fill straight from the hose with no lifting involved until the end very end. After the second brew on the tower system, it was determined that the pump couldn't wait, so we pulled the trigger on a march 15,stainless disconnects, and some silicone hose. The tower was easily removed, and after a quick fabrication of a mounting bracket, and relocation of the tower burner, I have a 2 tier setup with a pump plugged into a frame mounted GFI outlet controlled by a switch in the same box. I didn't like having to pull the plug to start /stop the pump. Now, I'm debating on modifying the tower to be used as my 3rd burner by cutting the 2 long legs that go through the frame level with the other 2, making it essentially a single tier setup. Or, keeping it in tact in case i ever need to go back to the no pump gravity setup (if the pump ever had any issues). I was lucky enough to get a really good deal on the metal, which is mostly 2" angle iron, and did the design and welding myself in the garage. My two main concern when designing were size and future proofing. I wanted the smallest footprint possible for storage purposes, and that's why it started and stayed 36" long and 18"wide. I chose to keep the 3rd burner separate for easier storage and transportation. I wanted something that could be used with or without a pump because I didn't expect the pump to come into play as soon as it did. I am looking at digital temperature monitoring, but have no plans for further automation... at the moment anyways.

20120814_184232.jpg

20120902_135439.jpg

20120809_005124.jpg

My stand is compact and is design number 2 (Three tier, staggered). I went weldless so I could easilly modify as needed. I would add a pilot light system to the burners that could be controlled by my home built electronics package. If I was in the market for another build it would probably be the same, just round tube and welded rather than the erector set metal I am using now. I like the ability to use gravity whenever possible because it seems to improve the taste and utilizatiom of the hops and grains. I dont have any empirical evidence to support that, but it seems better when I dont rush it with a pump. YMMV.
Wheelchair Bob

Form, function, useability, cleanup, money, ect...

Take all of this into account and then draw it up on paper or on your computer.

Then look at it for a month. Constantly run your brew day through your head and compare it to your drawing. How will you get the water into the kettles, how will they drain, where will they drain, how will they transfer, how will you clean them, what lines do you want between them, how will you heat the kettles, ect...?

Can you combine two processes into one, what can you do that will save you time and effort?

Electric, propane, natural gas, all are different, all have advantages and disadvantages.

Each time you think of an idea, actually go research it, can you get the parts, how will they fit together. Go back through the whole brew processes again.

Eventually you will hammer out an idea that is perfect for you.

BrewStand3.jpg

It's sturdy, easy to level, and not too high off the ground that I need anything special to work with it. And it's easy to store.

Welded. With three 25G pots of full of liquid/grain - I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with a welded stand.

Built.

Integrated tippy dump. It would save a little time.

Although - I do not find it too difficult to just scoop grain out of the MLT.

I looked at all the variations before I settled on the single tier. I was looking at #3 at first though.

Here's a pic of mine:

photo by brewerJP

Only thing different is the two rightmost pots are now 25G instead of 20G.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I went with a single tier stand so I didn't have to lift much of anything, looking to the future for this, although I don't like lifting hot kegs now either. I considered a lot of other ways to build a stand prior to making mine (welded). Put some thought into it and I am sure whatever you go with will be awesome. I liked the use of gravity but ultimitly that meant something higher then I could see without a ladder or lifting. I wouldn't change to much with my stand, maybe add a different chiller or slight mods to the stand setup as it is right now, but really, I am completely happy with it.

stand 3.jpg

This pic is not current, the stand is complete now with two pumps and drip shield over the pumps.

bradoslovich said:
I would vote for brew stand #3 as this is the one I built. It is the most compact, designed for one pump but you can easily brew without one and transfer by hand. You can gravity feed into the BK and do decoction mashing very easy (gravity drain wort into boil kettle, heat and recirculate). The boil kettle is at a perfect height for brewing and carboy transfers. Here is a picture of my set-up.

What was the total length of material you used? Also what size? I really want to build this and I'm wondering how much material I'll need! :)

As someone who is trying to figure out what type if stand to build, I want to thank everyone for posting in this thread. It is nice to see what your current setups are.

I designed, bought all materials and then had my neighbor weld together my stand that I love. the HLT gravity feed to the MT then I have a pump for HERMS as well as another pump with a handy control box. I looked at the below thread in depth prior to putting it all together. This is works for me and makes great beer.
My advice is look through this thread and devise what works for you.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/

Here is my stand while mashing with a fan blowing on the pump to keep it cool:

Stand2.jpg

I am working on building my stand now and am looking at using aluminum. Anyone see any down falls of this besides $$? I am all electric too so no worries about flames.

Back