cuts in cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
i just got an old cooler from my mom to use as a mash tun (planning on just using a bag and not converting it). the inside of the cooler has cuts through the insulation, so i assume wort would get trapped behind there. anybody have experience patching cuts in coolers? i figured epoxy would work to get it water tight, but i don't know if it would leach flavors or anything?

also, the drain cap broke off so my mom just shoved a bunch of surf wax in to plug it up. i think i have seen replacement spouts for coolers, so probably would need one of those as well.

Pinching pennies is always a good thing, but in this case, I'd say just spend some money and get a new mash tun. It sounds like it might be more of a hassel to fix the broken one at this point.

I'm sure you can find a cooler that isn't garbage somewhere to use instead. It's fall, there should be sales happening on brand new ones. Or check garage sales, craigslist, etc.

i'm fine just doing BIAB in my pot, but since this was free i figured i would give it a try. after seeing it i have kinda been thinking its more work than its worth.

still wondering if anybody has done it though and if it is worth it

I've used JBWeld for stuff like this. It says on their site that it is non toxic after it dries. There is a thread somewhere around here but the app search function is garbage.

I tried using epoxy to seal a mash tun, it didn't hold. But I was try to seal around the drain. I wouldn't bother with a cooler with cuts through to the insulation.

If it's in the insulation, don't use it. You'll make a huge mess, and your beer with taste like you mashed it in a public bathroom stall.

Back