Forks over Knives documentary on disease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. I have no use for inedible plants. If you have winter, an edible lawn would be a mud pit in winter.

My 46 year-old body does not take well to fast food anymore. I quit eating it years ago, but if I have a Mc-something it totally shuts down my system. "Supersize Me" made my kids think better of food. It shut them off to most fats food immediately, and they were young at the time.

I have always hunted and we grow what we can. I can usually get 60-70% of our meat without shopping, and my family will take deer or elk steak over any other meats. I always feel better mentally and physically with self-harvested food.

I cannot, however, give up meat...

My 46 year-old body does not take well to fast food anymore. I quit eating it years ago, but if I have a Mc-something it totally shuts down my system. "Supersize Me" made my kids think better of food. It shut them off to most fats food immediately, and they were young at the time.

I have always hunted and we grow what we can. I can usually get 60-70% of our meat without shopping, and my family will take deer or elk steak over any other meats. I always feel better mentally and physically with self-harvested food.

I cannot, however, give up meat...

I know it's a typo, but this is just so fitting.

Ok. I do not exercise intentionally...EVER. However I do engage in one of the most physically demanding sports one can play.

The wife and I have had a lifestyle change and this is the 1st year my food allergy has worsened.(not related) In our home there is no to little sugary snacks few tomato, potato, peppers of any kind or eggplant.(This would include products that had trace amounts of these items like BBQ sauce.) We drink diet sodas (a big health no-no but read on.) and eat 3-30 carb meals and have 2-15 carb snacks a day. This diet targets a meat portion that is about the size of a deck of playing cards and 1/2 a plate of vegetables. The meat also is targeted to be seafood x2 a week. The only thing we do not count is beer/wine intake but we are binge drinkers.

That is our diet in a nut shell. The wife is down 32 lbs and I am down 3 pant sizes since starting this. It is a slow process but it was not like we woke up fat one morning after being at a healthy weight. It took time to get that way and we realize that it will take time to reverse.

Now to get back to the meat. Do ANY of you know what is done to an animal that starts to look sickly and is to be sold to the butcher? They force feed it a large amount of vegetables to "fatten it up". Logic would stand the same thing will happen to a human.

I am going to eat meat until I die, the same is true for beer. I will die with a smile on my face knowing that I ate and drank what I wanted and was in decent health. I just converted my smoker to electric and now I can make charcoal while I am smoking meat. I am also a hunter and prefer "free range" meats whenever possible. I am eating a hunks of "smokey tender steak bites" as I am typing this, they are DELICIOUS! I smoked the lean, thick cut angus roasts and smoked them for 6 hours in my e-smoker. They have no seasoning other than the hickory smoke.

I'm fairly cautious about my diet. I avoid processed foods as much as possible and rarely eat out so I can control what goes into my food. I typically prepare all of my lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday because it's more time efficient and I never have a reason to grab fast food or something processed. I eat a lot of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, a low amount of starchy carbs and quite a bit of meat. I probably need to consume less protein because I'm not working out enough to need it. The problem with most store-bought meat is one way or another it ends up with some preservatives in it. Seafood is hit or miss but usually the safer route, especially if you are getting it fresh from the meat counter rather than frozen. I try to grow a few vegetables but I am a terrible gardner and generally hate yard work so I don't get much out of it.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I'm fairly cautious about my diet. I avoid processed foods as much as possible and rarely eat out so I can control what goes into my food. I typically prepare all of my lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday because it's more time efficient and I never have a reason to grab fast food or something processed. I eat a lot of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, a low amount of starchy carbs and quite a bit of meat. I probably need to consume less protein because I'm not working out enough to need it. The problem with most store-bought meat is one way or another it ends up with some preservatives in it. Seafood is hit or miss but usually the safer route, especially if you are getting it fresh from the meat counter rather than frozen. I try to grow a few vegetables but I am a terrible gardner and generally hate yard work so I don't get much out of it.

Sometimes the "fresh" seafood at the meat counter is merely the thawed stuff from the frozen case. The iqf fish filets are pretty good since they are typically filet and frozen on the same day they are caught.

Frozen anything is better most times.

If you equate gardening to "yard work" then yes, give up. You don't have it in you.

I couldn't care if fish is frozen or not. The meat department at my local grocery store flash freezes if it every is frozen, which doesn't cause ice crystals that ruin the integrity of the meat.

What's important is wild caught vs farmed. Farmed fish have a higher chance of disease and parasites, they feed them only one kind of food so you miss out on the flavor and color you get from the wild food sources the fish would have eaten, plus they are constantly swimming in tight quarters so more contact with feces and dead fish. I don't think we've bought farmed fish for a couple of years now.

cheezydemon3 said:
If you equate gardening to "yard work" then yes, give up. You don't have it in you.

This. I love going out to work-on/check-on my garden!

Reno_eNVy said:
I couldn't care if fish is frozen or not. The meat department at my local grocery store flash freezes if it every is frozen, which doesn't cause ice crystals that ruin the integrity of the meat.

What's important is wild caught vs farmed. Farmed fish have a higher chance of disease and parasites, they feed them only one kind of food so you miss out on the flavor and color you get from the wild food sources the fish would have eaten, plus they are constantly swimming in tight quarters so more contact with feces and dead fish. I don't think we've bought farmed fish for a couple of years now.

I would like to point out that certain aquatic animals taste better when farmed. Catfish and mussels are both superior when farm raised compared to their wild counterparts. Typically it is better if wild though and more sustainable if line caught.

120 days ago, after a high cholesterol reading, my doctor looked at me and said "Do this. Quit eating meat. Even chicken. Just stop." I did, and 45 days later my cholesterol level had dropped by 15%. Haven't missed it. I have gone back to an occasional slice of chicken breast or turkey breast. Sometimes I'll look at the burgers on the menu and think "Yeah, that'd be good", but I haven't done it and I suspect that after this time without it it might just be disgusting. For me, it wasn't a big deal decision. It just made sense.

Knives all the way. Life is short, enjoy it. I mow lawn, not eat it. I haven't met anyone that got out alive.

Spoons are for unhealthy food. Too much sodium in soup and too many calories and fat in dessert. You better start digging your grave now to save on funeral expenses.
Oh, and I would use a shovel, since you may not have much time.. ;)

Spoons are for unhealthy food. Too much sodium in soup and too many calories and fat in dessert. You better start digging your grave now to save on funeral expenses.
Oh, and I would use a shovel, since you may not have much time.. ;)

Honestly I didn't know what the forks and knives reference meant, I just skimmed the beginning and really had little interest in the subject...but now I know. :D

This explains also why my spoon reply was taken literally. :D

jgln said:
Honestly I didn't know what the forks and knives reference meant, I just skimmed the beginning and really had little interest in the subject...but now I know. :D

This explains also why my spoon reply was taken literally. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Knives refers to surgery as in "going under the knife"

forks meaning that eating proper things with your fork will save you from going under the knife.....or thereabouts.

Back