Carbonating kegged soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germanlager

Reaction score
I have two corny kegs and I ve filled them with root beer and orange soda. I ve read that if you set the psi at 35 psi for two days it will force carbonate but its been five days and still not at a good level of carbonation. Any suggestions?????,??

I have two corny kegs and I ve filled them with root beer and orange soda. I ve read that if you set the psi at 35 psi for two days it will force carbonate but its been five days and still not at a good level of carbonation. Any suggestions?????,??

Just sitting it will take WAY more than 5 days... Usually takes about 14 to 21 days. If you want it to go faster you can shake it. But it most likely just hasn't been long enough.

What is your temp? I force carb at 30psi and 35 F for 4 days and they are usually pretty carbed up by then. If you are at room temp and 35psi it could take 2+ weeks just to get to 2.5 vol

I carbonate chilled water first (this time of year out in my un heated garage) it only takes me overnight at 50 lbs then next day I add the syrup to the water. I was told that cold water alone takes the carbonation more easily then the complete soda mix does. I simply put water in my sanitized keg and shake it up for about 2-3 minutes at 50 psi you can watch the low presure gauge on my regulator and watch the CO2 flow. let the water sit over night under pressure and next day mix the syrup to the water. Slowly mix in the syrup in stages as it will erupt if you dump it all in too quickly. I add a little and close up keg and pressurize. let it settle bleed off pressure and add more syrup, repeat until it is all in. Let the soda sit for another day under pressure and serve.

I carbonate chilled water first (this time of year out in my un heated garage) it only takes me overnight at 50 lbs then next day I add the syrup to the water. I was told that cold water alone takes the carbonation more easily then the complete soda mix does. I simply put water in my sanitized keg and shake it up for about 2-3 minutes at 50 psi you can watch the low presure gauge on my regulator and watch the CO2 flow. let the water sit over night under pressure and next day mix the syrup to the water. Slowly mix in the syrup in stages as it will erupt if you dump it all in too quickly. I add a little and close up keg and pressurize. let it settle bleed off pressure and add more syrup, repeat until it is all in. Let the soda sit for another day under pressure and serve.

This is exactly how it's best done for soda. The sugar in the soda will make it more difficult to carbonate. Carbonating the water first and then adding the soda syrup, extract, or whatever your using will give much quicker results.

I've never noticed any difference in carbonation time, sugar or no. But to force carbonate quickly, you have to shake or rock the keg. I lay it on its side with a 2x4 about half way and just rock it. Takes about 10 minutes if the keg is chilled.

Well thanks for the input im gonna try and shake the kegs see if that does anything but as far as temp goes I cant put them in my garage(they ll freeze) so I have them in the house which is any where from 60 to 70. I didnt realize that temp made that much difference. Well thanks again and theres always next time I guess.

Slowly mix in the syrup in stages as it will erupt if you dump it all in too quickly. I add a little and close up keg and pressurize. let it settle bleed off pressure and add more syrup, repeat until it is all in. Let the soda sit for another day under pressure and serve.

Something that will allow you to add more syrup and/or all of your syrup, is to run it down the side of the keg, if you can, it depends on keg size. As long as the syrup doesn't directly hit the water, you wont get a geyser. Not quite sure of the chemistry, but I know it works!

I'm going to try this. If you carb the water @ 50 psi what is your temperature? So I would have the soda perfectly carb by 3-4 days. I have about7 days to have my soda ready to be serve. Your method seem to fit in my time line.
Thank you

If you are under a time constraint, shake/roll the keg. You can be carbed in 10-15 minutes.

Matt

I also noticed tha if you let the soda sit a few days the taste changes (in a good way) as it more evenly disolves and also absrobs more co2 (at least that is my theory) It is like cooking brisket.......if you rush it it doesn't tast as good...........

Thank you for all the help. I did the fast carb water first @50psi 32-38F. My soda is fully carb in about 2 days after the mixing.
If my soda is fully carb but, I will not serve it about a week later what should I do?
Do I keep it hook up @50psi till then or I need to turn the co2 down or I need to disconnect the co2 till the serving time?
I'm using the jockey box for the first time for serving and would like to know what the right pressure for serving?

Back