a Vertical to Horizontal Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
travestyofnature and I are going to attempt a night of drinking

here is what I have to start the evening with.
3977604041_6e3f68b02f.jpg

3977604079_40f2ff3357.jpg

3977604119_15639efdd9.jpg

3978365396_781b9980bb.jpg

here are a few for tonight's tasting

My shelf of homebrew
3978365506_94fdcd3278.jpg

here is my modest beer fridge
3977604233_c5f36b9875.jpg

3978365446_4022697214.jpg

First Victim of the evening..................
3978878656_1dd075d9d3.jpg

one of the first 100% Brett fermented brews that we have tried,

it must be said that it is very pleasant, almost inviting, Yes, it had a bit of "horseblanket" to it but not to the level of a Belgian. A great start to the evening of drinking.

3978878680_506a2948d8.jpg

A gimicky bottle that led to the ingestion on a less than stellar Dubbel,
the 8.5% abv was hard to find in the cloudy, wheaty, and yeasty dry brew.

By far not worth the $10 Paid for this bottle ....

The next one we tried was the Stone's Juxtaposition. This is a Black Pilsner by Stone, BrewDog and Cambridge brewing company. The use of Sorachi Ace and Motueka hops produce a unique hop experience that held its own against the hickory smoked prok loin that Cheeto served for dinner. As usual Stone has exceeded expectations of the enlightened beer drinker with this offering. A definite must try for anyone is Stone's distribution area. This is a most definite for my favorites list and for the try to clone list.

3978155811_f96ac1e352.jpg

Side Note- Cheeto brought me a sample of his Tart Cider. Its not quite to the Subversive standard but it is a nice and very tart cider. Dry and clean, it is a great summer cider.

Licher Pilsner from Bitburger Brewing/Germany. After the Stone Black Pilsner and dinner this was a sad BMC-ish offering of a German Pilsner. The potentially wonderful flavors were masked by the horribly skunked noble hops. The included advertisement was deceptive and incorrect. Most of the flavors that is was to include, were not present or too subtle for a hop-head such as Cheeto and myself are, to notice much at all. It was maybe something light to end an evening of drinking on if you like ending on a sad note.

3977604119_15639efdd9.jpg

Alley Cat Amber Ale
3978365396_781b9980bb.jpg

Cloying, lacking the sustaining bitterness commonly associated with an Amber ale.

SWMBO thought is tasted great.

Ty and I felt that is was akin to chewing on a sugar cane, but a far better offering that the Pilsner the preceded it.

Next. Sierra Nevada's Estate. This is definitely an must try. Everything in this recipe is grown on Sierra's farms in Chico California. Crisp, great body and assertive hop character and malty backbone give this first release an amazing overall impression similar to a young barelywine. While very nice now, this would do well with some aging.

3978291491_0ac135fab9.jpg

Here is Ty again, this time Kissing his wife's ass because we could not get their car fixed in a single visit =) !!

3979053028_e33c01145b.jpg

Hurricane Reef Pale Ale
3977604079_40f2ff3357.jpg

Over-carbed sub standard attempt at a Pacific Northwest pale ale.
The premise and concept are wonderful, immitation is the greatest for of flattery, but the execution was lacking, some one at this brewery drank a mirror pond and tried to copy it....

Diamond Bear Presidential IPA

First off It is Brewed in Little Rock Arkansas!?!?
The head held firm after pouring it and the color was amazing!
Lacing was aggressive and it held out on the glass through the entire drink.
The bottle labeling lacked insite or story, shameful beacause this is a splendid brew with a great hop profile, that needs a bit of introduction. SELL YOUR BEER !!!

I would gladly pay premium craft brew prices for this beer !!!

I have to second the opinion on the Presidential IPA. This is an IPA with an impresssive pour, great head and hop profile. The label is a little lacking. You should try this beer!

Unfortunately this tasting, from vertical to horizontal, ended prematurely. Jason, I'm afraid, could not hold his beer and ended up unconscious in his son's bed while I continued with the tasting.

The last tasting was a mead from Addis callled Addis Tej (Addis Honey wine). It was a fairly nice semi-sweet mead. Mild and close to a dessert mead it was a nice ending of the night for me.

Its sad tho that here I am, in Cheeto's house, Taking pictures of him and using his computer, still try to give you the reader, my best impression of the nights tasting schedule. Jason (Cheeto) lies quietly, asleep in bed. in bed with his son.

01523.JPG

Goodnight Jason, Sleep tight. I'm stealing some of the beer in your fridge before I leave. HEHE. Call me tomorrow when you sober up.

Unfortunately this tasting, from vertical to horizontal, ended prematurely. Jason, I'm afraid, could not hold his beer and ended up unconscious in his son's bed while I continued with the tasting.

The last tasting was a mead from Addis callled Addis Tej (Addis Honey wine). It was a fairly nice semi-sweet mead. Mild and close to a dessert mead it was a nice ending of the night for me.

Its sad tho that here I am, in Cheeto's house, Taking pictures of him and using his computer, still try to give you the reader, my best impression of the nights tasting schedule. Jason (Cheeto) lies quietly, asleep in bed. in bed with his son.

01523.JPG
Yup thats me sleeping with my youngest.

The complete the story I started the day long before the tasting
Waiting around for the Smoker and Ty I finished off s few beers
and this tasting was called a Vertical to Horizontal tasting so in respect to the title of the event, I won!

Goodnight Jason, Sleep tight. I'm stealing some of the beer in your fridge before I leave. HEHE. Call me tomorrow when you sober up.

SOME BEER ? Where the heck did you put all of that in your car ?

Next. Sierra Nevada's Estate. This is definitely an must try. Everything in this recipe is grown on Sierra's farms in Chico California. Crisp, great body and assertive hop character and malty backbone give this first release an amazing overall impression similar to a young barelywine. While very nice now, this would do well with some aging.

3978291491_0ac135fab9.jpg

oh man, I have to try one.

I am drinking a Southern Hemisphere as I type this. :drunk:

Our Estates were $4.xx then they bumped them up to $10.xx!

Diamond Bear Presidential IPA

First off It is Brewed in Little Rock Arkansas!?!?
The head held firm after pouring it and the color was amazing!
Lacing was aggressive and it held out on the glass through the entire drink.
The bottle labeling lacked insite or story, shameful beacause this is a splendid brew with a great hop profile, that needs a bit of introduction. SELL YOUR BEER !!!

I would gladly pay premium craft brew prices for this beer !!!

Well Bill Clinton was Governor of Arkansas up untill he became our 42nd President if I had to guess why it was called that ,i would think it may have someting to do with bill.
there is a diamond mine in Arkansas too , so that may be part of the mistery of the brewery name. ;)
but i dont know i have never seen it here and I alot closer.

Back