Brewing Classic Styles Database

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mob_Barley

Reaction score
Hi all, I don't post much here, I guess I'm busy on our brew club's forum. But I just wanted to let everyone know that I made a spreadsheet with all the recipes in the book Brewing Classic Styles. I made it so I could match my yeast and grains in inventory with one of the recipes from the book. Before, I had to go through the entire book recipe by recipe trying to find one that used the yeast I had on hand, or the grains I had in inventory. With the spreadsheet, you can either search or just scroll down and find your ingredients, then find the recipe with it's page number. Then just go to the book to brew the recipe. I think it's pretty cool. If you want a copy you can download it at Brewing Classic Styles Recipe Database

I hope everyone finds it useful.

Mob Barley

Don't be confused.

This is not a recipe database.

It is a list of recipe titles along with corresponding yeast strains, base and specialty malts...etc.

It is designed to show which of the recipes in the book can be brewed with your current inventory.

It is not the actual recipes. Without the book, this database is useless.

This is an excellent resource. Thank you for putting it together.

For the record, here's the most important quote on the front page
Thanks to Brewers Publications and Kristi Switzer, publisher, for allowing me to use the recipes from Jamil and John's book, I hope everyone finds it a helpful way to find which of the great recipes in the book they want to brew next!

As has been pointed out, this is an index. It allows you to cross reference recipes by yeast, grains, etc. It is not a collection of recipes. You need the book. If you have the book, this is freaking great.

And, yes, to the naysayers, copyright law doesn't really care if you copy something for profit or not. If you don't have permission or don't fall within the fair use guidelines you are liable for some pretty severe penalties. As a writer I see this as a very good thing.

Chad

MOD EDIT: OT quote removed

Sold me. Just went to Amazon and ordered the book. Threw in "Brew Like a Monk" to get the order over $25 for free shipping.

Needed new reading material for the potty library. :D

Sold me. Just went to Amazon and ordered the book. Threw in "Brew Like a Monk" to get the order over $25 for free shipping.

Needed new reading material for the potty library. :D

BLaM rocks. It's my bible as 90% of my beers are Belgians.

Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.
Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.
Source: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

IMO the spreadsheet does not have substantial literary expression.

I had some trouble figuring out what to call the spreadsheet. I guess I could call it a "searchable recipe index" if that makes more sense.

I first contacted Jamil to see if he had any objections to me using the recipes etc. in the spreadsheet. He said that he didn't but he felt that I should clear everything through the publisher. Ms. Switzer, publisher at Brewers Publications took a week to look over everything and with a couple of modifications, gladly gave her approval. She felt it would be helpful.

Thanks for the interest. Support The Brewing Network and get an AHA Membership, let's help everyone Brew Better Beer!

Back