Well...my beer is carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Over carbonated that is lol....I went from carbonating and patiently waiting at 8-10psi to the shake n' bake method. My tap now serves glasses of glorious foam. It's a beautiful, thick head, but a little beer in the glass would be nice too :D

Any cures for over carbonation?

care to elaborate on the 'shake n' bake' method?

i'd say turn the gas off, bleed the keg, wait a few minute, bleed it again (assuming it has built pressure back up), and do this until it doesn't re-pressurize itself.

you know, if you fill the corny and just crank it to 30 for 3 or so days it will carb.

Or, if you can be patient (ha!) you can set it at 10-12psi and leave it for a couple of weeks to "mature" a bit. Then it will all be balanced.

Or, if you can be patient (ha!) you can set it at 10-12psi and leave it for a couple of weeks to "mature" a bit. Then it will all be balanced.

yea, but OP should either A. be patient with the 10-12 or B. crank it to 30 for a few days and SHOULDN'T start @ 10-12 then 'shake and bake'.

why not set it to 10-12 psi and shake and bake. would it reach equalibrium at that pressure

If you unhook the keg from the gas entirely and then use the pressure already in the keg to pour beer until that dies out, and then rehook it to the gas at serving pressure, that might work.

Or just fill up a pitcher every time you need to drink some beers, let it sit for a few, and then pour yourself a cold one when the foam levels off.

Eventually it comes around if you have it at serving pressure, it just takes awhile (like a week or so for me when I had overcarbed beer) for the gas to reach equilibrium.

I'm the most impatient person on the planet (maybe I need to drink more to balance myself out lol). I went through this with the first batch I made. It was always either over carb'd or under carb'd. Never just right. Taken this batch out to the beach, so maybe bein off the tank for a few hours will help it (It's only at 7psi right now).

I think on my next batch, I'm just going to leave it sit at 10psi for 3 weeks and see what happens. I can wait that long...I think I can...I think I can...I think I can... :D

PS..by 'shake and bake', i'm refering to jumping the psi to 25-28 right after kegging, and shaking the keg for a good 10-15 min to 'flash' carbonate the brew...

I was always stressed about the unpredictability of the shake and bake method, but, at the same time, I'm definitely not patient enough to wait 2+ weeks.

I simply set it to 30psi and leave it for around 24-30 hours. Once that's done, I turn off the gas, vent the keg and crank it back up to around 10-12psi. After 3 or 4 days, the carbonic flavor dies down, and everything's right as rain!

any time this happens, it can be fixed, turn the regulator off. run beer out of there till it starts dying. bring pressure up to where it should be, around 11 psi

Back