Ending SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I noticed in the instructions for beer kits they list a ending SG and I'm wondering if you are supposed to bottle when it hits that number or is that the point at which it is expected to stop fermenting, or slowing down greatly. I've been making wine for a while and with wine you usually let it ferment all the way dry, is this not something you should do with beer?

Alex

Target Final Gravity is usually a ballpark number around which fermentation has either greatly tapered off or stopped completely. Usually the target FG is an indication of the style of beer, and is just a general guideline.

Yep, the target FG is just that: a target. Your actual FG will depend on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, how many yeast cells you pitch, fermentation temperature, how hard you boil, etc.

A better way to decide if fermentation has ended or not is to take SG readings 2-3 days apart. If they're the same, you may be pretty sure your fermentation has ended.

I think a very hard violent boil will caramelize some of the sugars in the wort, and then they become non-fermentable.

is that right???

I'm guessing, but I think that's what he meant.

-walker

What everyone is missing so far in this thread is attenuation.

Each yeast strain has a certain amount of how much sugar the particular strain can eat. If you have a 100% attenuable yeast, 100% of the sugars are eaten, and your FG would be 1.000. However, most strains are only 60-80% attenuable. This is really the only true way to estimate FG.

ORRELSE said:
Can you explain that one to me? :confused:

Actually I was on a conf call while in the process of typing that post and started thinking of hot break formation for some reason. I don't think it should affect the FG or fermentables. I've been frequently confused this week which seems to be causing my boss some consternation. I told him to relax and have a homebrew.

BeeGee said:
Wouldn't it actually be < 1.000 since alcohol is less dense than water (assuming only water and fermentables in the beer).
Depends on the type of attenuation we're talking. Apparent attenuation of 100% would land you at 1.000 (OG-FG over OG). 100% apparent attenuation doesn't mean 100% of the sugars were consumed though. Actual/Real attenuation of 100% (all the sugars converted) will result in FG being < 1.000. Clear as mud, no? :drunk:

It's was 1.010 last night but there is still a bit of fermenting going on. On the wine side you can usually get down to 0.994 before fermentations stops but then again you want all the yeast to be dead in non-sparkling wines.

Alex

Unlike wine & ciders, ales tend to have unfermentable sugars and proteins, they don't go all the way (or more I've got a cider at 0.985). The reason a FG is given is to let you figure out if the ferment is done or stuck. If you are expecting a FG of 1.008 and the ferment has been at 1.024 for two days, it's stuck & needs some more yeast. By the same token, if it's been at 1.010 for days, it's done enough.

Okay, that's good to know. I figured it was something like that, I just didn't want to spend all mine time trying to get it below 1.000 ;-)

Alex

Back