Yeast Nutrients & Energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymo

Reaction score
I've brewed a decent amount of beer and cider and never dealt with yeast nutrient/energizer additions, but I recently started my first batch of mead. Unfortunately, the following day my wife & I ended up leaving town for several days!

It is a little over a week later and we've been back home for a few days now. The must is fermenting happily, but starting to slow down a bit now. I've read about nutrient & energizer additions in the Compleat Meadmaker, but I'm wondering:

Is there any reason I shouldn't add doses of nutrients & energizer at this point in the fermentation since we weren't around to add them during the first few days in staggered doses?

(Oh, and it's a standard sweet mead recipe with clover honey.)

Started my first mead in early june, and added nutrient well after the primary fermentation was pretty much done. It's still sitting in primary, so I can't really answer your question, however, afterwards i did some research (yes, i know, kinda backwards) and found that introducing too much nitrogen too late in the fermentation can be bad. Wish i could remember the link i read it from.

yeah, energizer can definitely leave a little after taste in mead if you use too much, or if its not utilized.
you are not too late in fermentation, but I'd only add a small amount, gently stir it in, and call it good.

I've had meads turn out without using any energizer/nitrogen. It just takes a while. You definitely don't wanna rack it too early. Stir up the lees when you dose the energizer, then let it settle back down.

a month in primary is ok. you won't get off flavors (autolysis) in one month.

Back