High temperatures while bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
With summer approaching the inside temperature of my house will get up to the low 80's for a few weeks in the summer (100+ outside).

I know all about swamp coolers, but what about my bottles while they are conditioning? Are they ok at a higher temperature or should I try and store them in some kind of swamp cooler?

I had the same question a while back as I live in AZ, and like Revvy says, once it is in the bottle temps aren't so crucial (within reason of course).

What's more important in bottle conditioning is variation in temperature. If you were going from the 90's during the day down to the 50's at night. After a while that would really start to affect your beer. And as SnG says, within reason. You don't want your beer sitting in a 130 degree garage.

my house is usually 82 in the summer, never had an issue I just bottle them and wait at least 2.5 weeks before trying one out. Only thing ever needed is more time for some.

I found the extract + steeped grain brews near the heater in my house actually conditioned faster than the same brew at my friend's house which is cooler. We opened one of each at the same time and mine was nicely carbed and his was almost flat and didn't taste as good. Granted it's not a significant sample size. Has anyone done a (better) experiment with this?

Back