Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
I currently run 2 carbonation systems when making/dispensing my beer.

I mass carbonate 3-4 Corny's at a time at room temp, using a Gas manifold I fabricated . Temps are about 14 degrees Celcius. CO2 pressure on this system is around 20 PSI.

When I put a Corny in a Keg, I relieve the pressure and hook up to the fridge system which is around 8 PSI and fridge temps are about 2-5 degrees celcius.

I seem to not get as much carbonation as commercial beer or even the size of the Bubble. Are my pressures too low? What should I do?

There are pressure to temp calculators available on the internet.
Here is one at bottom of page.
Crockett Brewing Force Carbonation

Assuming you are going for say 2.4 volumes and your ambient temp of the keg is 70 deg F, it looks like you should be at about 27psi on your gas. Adjust for your actual temp.

Looks like space is a concern for you, but your carbonating would be a lot more efficient if you could cool the kegs down, even maybe in a basement or something. Can save you on CO2 costs.

edit: Actually just noticed you said your temps are about 14C, which is about 57F. If that is correct than your 20psi is about correct. You could bump it a few psi and see if that gets you what you are loking for.

Your CO2 level in the fridge looks a bit low though. Assuming an average temp of say 3 deg C you should still be up around 10psi if you are looking for 2.4 volumes

The type of beer you are drinking, and the length and diameter of dispensing line come into play as well.

Fridge pressure has been adjusted to 10 PSI and the pressure on the system outside the room is up to 24 now. How much will hose length and dia affect pressure, taking into account I have my tank hooked to a Gas manifold that distributes CO2 to 4 Corny's at once. Not sure if I should be bumping the pressure up based on this.

Hi Tuzlo:

The hose diameter and length is more relative to when you have the beer on tap. Basically you encounter resistance in the line out from the keg to the tap and must make some adjustments in your psi when running longer lines due to line resistance. I don't think that comes into play when carbonating. For just a run from the keg to the tap most people use somewhere in the 5-8ft area of beer line.

Give the beer in the fridge a couple days to absorb the new carb level and see if it is acceptable to you. 10 psi was just a base point for you approximate temp and assuming 2.4 volumes of co2. (your carbonation preferences may vary) As I said based on the type of beer as well you may wish to make further adjustments. At the temp you are dispensing at I would think somewhere in the 10-12 psi level will get you up to the carbonation level you are looking for. Give the 10 psi a shot for a couple days.

Back