Bare Bones Stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerAg said:
Hey Seabee, what is the doohicky in your double barrel that has the yellow switches?

Believe it or not, like the train transformer, it's another throwback from my model railroading days. It's just a simple track switch controller. bout 3 bucks in any RR hobby store. there are just three switches on a board. I use two of them, one for each fan. works like a charm.

what would work great for this is an old cell phone or mobile something charger or any other wall socket transformer (found on some lamps, clocks, chargers, ALOT of things) Just cut off the adapter at the end so you have bare wires. alternatively you could just rip out the power supply from the back of an old pc and just hook that straight into the fan, seeing that the fan and power supply were actually made to work together. what is also useful is a fan controller unit. they sell them pretty cheap at computer mod places, I have 2 inside my compy for slowing down fans so their not too loud. the control range you can get on them is pretty good.

I know this thread is old, but this whole thing got me thinking. Could you use an old computer powersupply and hook it up to an controllable computer fan? Or just hook a fan up to your computer and use that? That may be a really cheap method as most everyone has a computer... Just a thought.

I know this thread is old, but this whole thing got me thinking. Could you use an old computer powersupply and hook it up to an controllable computer fan? Or just hook a fan up to your computer and use that? That may be a really cheap method as most everyone has a computer... Just a thought.

Sure you could use a power supply... it just transforms the voltage from ac to dc and a rheostat will control the fan speed. That speed control is the important part.

good luck

So I am new to all of this and have to ask the NOOB question! What are you using the stir plate for? I work in a Bio-Medical Science Building and see lots of these devices made for the "Labbies" here.

If it is something I can make use of, I know I can get one or two as surplus cause many of the labs are re-locating to another building and they have loads of stuff they are not moving.

Thanks for any info.

Salute! :mug:

So I am new to all of this and have to ask the NOOB question! What are you using the stir plate for? I work in a Bio-Medical Science Building and see lots of these devices made for the "Labbies" here.

If it is something I can make use of, I know I can get one or two as surplus cause many of the labs are re-locating to another building and they have loads of stuff they are not moving.

Thanks for any info.

Salute! :mug:

We use the stir plate for culturing yeast to ferment the beer. Some people need large cultures for the style and type of beer they brew, or like me, I re-use the yeast I brew with by washing it, and then storing smaller amounts for later use. If I'm going to brew on Saturday, I'll begin a starter on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how much yeast I need to pitch. The stir plate helps keep oxygen in the solution so the yeast are at the height of viability when it comes to pitching time. I also enjoy knowing that I've got the right abount of yeast to do the job... not too little, not too much.

You can figure this out by using the pitching calculator at Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

good luck!

Function before beauty, what's a pretty stir plate box if the unit doesn't work properly. Details can follow later if a box is needed. A lot better than throwing big money at a lab stir plate unless you got it cheap, I never could. Oh by the way that Mr. Malty Pitching Calculator is in my file and a great tool to use, thanks for posting it.

I havent read every post here but I made a stir plate in the DIY fashion. The magnets I used were kidney shaped ones out of a Hard drive. Very powerful. I found that putting 1 magnet in the center of the fan worked but I have yet to get it working with 2 magnets. Just an FYI for anyone having trouble. Also I use a very small stir bar, about 1/2". It can make a funnel in 2l of water though.

I did this same thing nearly 2 years ago. Except instead of using a spare model train controller (I have one of those, actually), I used a power supply I had lying around from another project from Radio Shack that has a switchable voltage with about 5 presets. Got my rare earth magnets from RS as well.

It's "ghetto", but completely functional.

I havent read every post here but I made a stir plate in the DIY fashion. The magnets I used were kidney shaped ones out of a Hard drive. Very powerful. I found that putting 1 magnet in the center of the fan worked but I have yet to get it working with 2 magnets. Just an FYI for anyone having trouble. Also I use a very small stir bar, about 1/2". It can make a funnel in 2l of water though.

The trick to getting two magnets to work, is first getting the polarity of the two magnets right, the second is getting the center line of the two magnets to line up correctly with the center line of the fan..... otherwise, the stir bar will "orbit" around the center of rotation and ultimately be tossed.

so:

1. magnets must be equidistant from the center of the fan
2. magnets must have the proper polarity alignment

stir bar (- +)
mag 1 (+) (-) mag 2

3. center line of magnets must align with center line of fan.

I also found it helpful to space the magnets so the end of the stir bar was even with the center of each magnet

hope that helps

Great post Seabee...thanks for the all the insight. I am just about to put mine together... can't wait to fire it up. :rockin:

I tried this but apparently my fan is not powerful enough, it couldn't move the magnet, using an old school Lionel transformer and a 100mm fan, a magnet from a hard drive.

Any tips/brands to use? I already wrecked one fan.

Back