Self Adhesive Vinyl Large Print Logos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I posted this in the "Brewery Magnet Thread" as a follow up to a printing find.
But i thought it might get lost in that and this is a pretty affordable and nice option...

Finally got the printed brewery logo.

I ordered one logo that was 24" x 21". The oval dimensions in the pictures below of the bigger of the two. I don't know why I had 2 logos included. Maybe they screwed the size and just included the smaller one, but the smaller one is actually a better size for the top of my keezer if I chose to put it there.

The big one I am going to put on the front of the keezer.

Total price shipped was...

$23.96 for printed logo 24"x 21" (Self-adhesive Vinyl Outdoor banner)
$4.00 for laminating (optional)
$7.00 shipping

$34.96 Total

Source: Chicago Printing Center (No affiliation)

Small logo laid out on top of keezer
DSC01213_21.jpg

Close up of small vinyl logo
DSC01214_2.jpg

Large logo laid out on top for perspective
DSC01217_2.jpg

Close up of large logo
DSC01216_2.jpg

Ill get an extra pair of hands to help align and put this on nice and smooth. I don't know how many attempts ill get if any. Don't know if once its one..its not moving or if there is some flexiblilty. Ill post follow up pictures and report. The price is certainly right for this large of an image and sticker.

Looks great too, if you do this, make sure you give them as large of a PNG file as possible. 330 DPI 2500x2500 or better. If you want to see the higher quality close ups, PM me. I can send you the original 10MB JPGs. They look even better in person.

I worked in a vinyl shop for a few months and when we applied large stickers like that we always prepped the surface with soapy water then squeegeed out all of the large bubbles.

I'm not an expert by any means but this might buy you a little more time to get everything straightened out; some reading:

http://www.military-graphics.com/vinyl_install.html
http://www.whitetigerllc.com/VinylInstall.html

And a video:

If you already know this information then I guess it doesn't matter but, I hope this helps!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I worked in a sign shop for 2 years. Soapy Water is definately the way to go. It allows you to mess up and shift your image. Put a piece of tape on one end once it's lined up to make a 'hinge'. Pull the graphic back so it's face down and spray the soapy water down. Make sure the surface is clean, alcohol will work. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET THE BACKING PAPER ON THE IMAGE WET!!!! It will be a huge mess. Then just peel it back and squegee (sp?) it down. It will be wet under there, so you can pick it back up if you need to. Good luck and RDWALDYNGOYK (Relax. Don't worry and lay down you new graphic on your keezer)

Freeeking awesome! Does your keezer have a smooth surface or is it textured steel?

It is mildly textured. But I peeled it off the backing just a little and it seems Ill have some ability to lift and stick as long as it is a little and it should stick just fine.

Not sure about the soapy water squeegee in this application. Im worried the printing ink will run. Anyone familiar with the vinyl printing know if this is similar material used in the soapy water applications? EDIT: Nevermind, read the above links. Will attempt to apply with the soapy water and post pics of final application.

+1 on the soapy water. I've also used Windex in the past. Spray the surface and then place your graphic on top of it. Squeegee out the bubbles and the excess liquid, when ti dries everything should be cool!

You can also use a mixture of water and alcohol (rubbing). But don't be suprised if it eventually peels off. Any sort of a textured surface won't always work well.

Hairspray will let it slide around until it dries, then act as a glue (but you better be sure you want it where it is when it dries)

First, the design and sign/logo look great!!!

Second, do not apply that thing onto a wet surface. Think putting a bandaid onto yourself when you get out of the tub, not a good plan! Not saying it hasn't worked for others, but there are many grades and manufacturers of adhesive vinyl and not all the adhesives are going to be the same. +1 for cleaning it with alcohol or mild soap and vinegar. You're looking to remove any oils, from hand prints etc. We actually peal back about 2" of the backing (crease it and fold it down), align the decal where it goes, press down on the 2" area affixing it in place. As you apply the decal use the hardest smoothest thing you can find to apply pressure and smooth it as you go, start at the top and apply it downward/toward you.

Third, the best thing to order when ordering an adhesive vinyl material to apply to a metal surface, kegerator etc., is vehicle graphics. Any large format printer will offer this, well except for the el cheapo sign shops. The company I work for, www.imageonestudios.com, uses 3M vehicle vinyl it's the best there is.

Fourth, your charge was $6.50 per sq. ft. That's a decent price. It's about what we get. Anyone interested can upload images at our website, listed above, or email me at [email protected] for further info. We usually charge design time by the hour, but since HBT has been so amazing too me, I'll help my brothers out for free! No it's not my company I'm just trying to help out with anyone that might not know what they want etc.

Fifth, check the "Brewery Magnet" thread for my notes on really inexpensive options for having a Brewery Sign made to hang on the wall.

Not trying to hijack the thread and you've probably gotten alot of what I posted figured out! HBT's given me so much just trying to pay it back by helping my fellow HBTers with something I know alot about.... y'all help me with brewing I help y'all with graphics!

I'm off to bottle my Sloppy Drunk Mild.
Schlante,
Phillip

I looked for a magnet option but either didn't find an affordable option or didn't find a place that would do it in the size necessary.

I was going to put this thing on today and now have differing opinions...soapy water vs. nothing wet...hmm....i think ill cut some of the extra vinyl around the logo off and practice with that.

The sticker went on with ease. I did not use the soapy water procedure. I cut a small piece of the sticker outside of the logo and tested it. It laid on very nice and I used a dough knife to slowly 'scrap' the label onto the keezer as I pulled away the backing. Didnt even need an extra pair of hands. Couldnt be easier. I did prep the surface by cleaning with soapy water and then a rub with some alcohol. An hour later and it hasnt curled or moved. Looks like it will hold just fine.

VinylLogoCloseup.jpg

BugeaterKeezer.jpg

First, the design and sign/logo look great!!!

Second, do not apply that thing onto a wet surface. Think putting a bandaid onto yourself when you get out of the tub, not a good plan! Not saying it hasn't worked for others, but there are many grades and manufacturers of adhesive vinyl and not all the adhesives are going to be the same. +1 for cleaning it with alcohol or mild soap and vinegar. You're looking to remove any oils, from hand prints etc. We actually peal back about 2" of the backing (crease it and fold it down), align the decal where it goes, press down on the 2" area affixing it in place. As you apply the decal use the hardest smoothest thing you can find to apply pressure and smooth it as you go, start at the top and apply it downward/toward you.

Third, the best thing to order when ordering an adhesive vinyl material to apply to a metal surface, kegerator etc., is vehicle graphics. Any large format printer will offer this, well except for the el cheapo sign shops. The company I work for, Image One Studios, uses 3M vehicle vinyl it's the best there is.

Fourth, your charge was $6.50 per sq. ft. That's a decent price. It's about what we get. Anyone interested can upload images at our website, listed above, or email me at [email protected] for further info. We usually charge design time by the hour, but since HBT has been so amazing too me, I'll help my brothers out for free! No it's not my company I'm just trying to help out with anyone that might not know what they want etc.

Fifth, check the "Brewery Magnet" thread for my notes on really inexpensive options for having a Brewery Sign made to hang on the wall.

Not trying to hijack the thread and you've probably gotten alot of what I posted figured out! HBT's given me so much just trying to pay it back by helping my fellow HBTers with something I know alot about.... y'all help me with brewing I help y'all with graphics!

I'm off to bottle my Sloppy Drunk Mild.
Schlante,
Phillip

I wacthed this thread in horror until I came to his post.. phew..

Soapy spray mix is for amateurs and tint installers... with the new vinyls offered today anyone can decent vinyl

A little late to this thread; I was thinking about doing this as well, only magnet option. I was going to swing by my local hobby type store (anything from models to sewing home crafts etc), because they have rolls of sheet magnet- like the thin cheap ones you sometimes get in the mail on you local pizza shop add. I used it before, the only issue is it seems to retain the curl from being stored in a roll. I am going to get a roll soon and try and flatten it; anyone else have experience?

I wacthed this thread in horror until I came to his post.. phew..

Soapy spray mix is for amateurs and tint installers... with the new vinyls offered today anyone can decent vinyl

If you see something like this that you know is incorrect, don't be afraid to step up and post. I try to offer information that I am sure is correct, but have been corrected a time or two myself. You shouldn't worry about stepping on someone's toes by disagreeing with what they have posted if you know better. This is all in the name of giving the OP the most accurate information possible, and maybe learning a little something ourselves.

Back