Why such concern over pump GPM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I see many threads where people obsess over how all things related to pump GPM, lift, etc. Besides lift and basic pump capabilities such as head and flow, this also includes:
- Elbows (which reduce flow)
- Hose barb inside diameter

I have both a Chugger inline and a US Solar pump. both have to be throttled significantly using a valve on the output for recirculation and sparging, otherwise compaction would seem to be a problem.

I do understand how you want unobstructed input flow and some height above the input to avoid cavitation. (Not been a problem for me with proper pump location and orientation). And some using it for whirlpool have not been happy with the outut of a US Solar (3 GPM), getting fast enough for a good cone.

Am I missing something? Are there flow problems I don't yet know about? Especially for the March and Chugger pumps.

Regards,
Rich

Well, coming from a HERMS system, I want maximum flow to improve the heat transfer. The quicker I can recirc the mash, the quicker I can bump temps.

Well, coming from a HERMS system, I want maximum flow to improve the heat transfer. The quicker I can recirc the mash, the quicker I can bump temps.

Don't you get grain compaction when you go fast?

Gotcha. I'm switching over to HERMS soon, so this is useful info. Right now, I have the output valve nearly closed to get the right flow on the Chugger.

Latest posts

Back