Dry hopping risk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeroyJenkins

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Belgian IPA that calls for a dry hopping in the secondary. My friend accidentally opened the wrong hops during the brew, so they've already been exposed to the air and handled. I have them refrigerated now, but is there a chance they will infect the beer? I can grab a new pack if necessary.

I would have just thrown them in. Unless you are trying really hard to accurately create a clone, it would be fine and delicious.

That said, if you have them in a zip lock container in your freezer, they'll be fine. Use them in your next boil rather than dry-hop if you have any concerns.

Beer in the secondary is already up to ABV.

Hops provide natural preservative value.

Alcohol plus hops means little worry about infecting the beer.

Well,if you're not going to use them,tape the packet shut,put'em in a zip lock freezer bag & toss'em in the freezer. That's the bes way to sotre them if you don't have a vacuum sealer.

Very little concern for infection. Hops were actually originally used to preserve beers for longer periods rather than for their flavor.

What that guy said

What that guys said, what that guy said. LOL

I read not to long ago, I think from AHB, that they made a "Hop tea" and put that into the secondary. That might work pretty good.

Back