What do you use for your heat shields for your propane burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heating galvanized metal makes for a pretty stinky, and hazardous smoke. I guess it would be ok after "cooking" it off.

I found 6"x24" 16 gauge mild steel at lowes, and ordered the two stainless brackets.

burner crop.jpg

I use aluminum roofing cut into 24" tall sections. It can be bent to form a half-circle. I use 2-3 of these to surround my burner stand and lower part of my brew pot. It blocks 90% of wind from getting to the flame and in my experience saves at least 30% of my propane as I can leave the burner on 50% and still maintain a rolling boil!

I guess I would call mine more of a windshield than a heat shield. Its a cut off section of a 32 gallon steel drum that allows me to brew outdoors during windy days. I don't use it when I brew inside.
No fancy stainless or galvanized finish on mine, just plain old iron oxide.

2013-02-06 21.37.04 (Small).jpg

I used aluminum flashing from Home depot and as I had figured, parts of it melted from the heat of the burner. It wasn't too expensive and it was easier to get then stainless. I didn't want to use galvanized since the fumes that come off when it heats up are toxic, and I didn't want mild steel since it would just rust. Even with my slightly melted heatshield it still works much better than nothing at all.

Back